reject emails from specific extension (namely <email>@<domain>.biz

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

Hi Zimbra!!
For some reason over the last few weeks we have been flooded with spam that all originates from the extension .Biz ... It is very annoying and has now drawn the ire of my CEO who manages to get several hundred a day. Even though it is unconventional, is it possible to block or reject all email that comes with the extension .biz for example jalsdjalsd@yahoo.biz or flights@gmail.biz? Most of the email domains are masqerading as common and popular email domains except for the 'biz' part.
Any suggestions would be great
PS: I am also open alternative methods that may work. I am not locked into any specific solution.
Thanks
7531prashant
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 7531prashant »

Rejecting Emails at SMTP Level - Zimbra :: Wiki
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

[quote user="7531prashant"]Rejecting Emails at SMTP Level - Zimbra :: Wiki[/QUOTE]
I think this is the solution I need. I am going to test the wildcard part and see if *@*.biz works.
Ill post back my results
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

So far from the logs, I can see some of the emails getting through. Is the following wildcard invalid
*@*.biz
I can try different combinations of wildcard if I am using them incorrect
7531prashant
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 7531prashant »

Please go ahead and post your results so that others will also be benefited in future.
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

I was unable to block messages that end with .biz at the smtp level. If I put a specific address such as 'spam@company.biz' It would work, but since the user I am helping is receiving messages from a unique.biz address everytime, it becomes a game of cat and mouse.
What I ended up doing, since the spam training was working for the most part; is setup forwarding to the users exchange account using a filter instead of by using the setting in preferences. This allowed most spam mail to go to junk while legit mail is forwarded. The issue with using the forwading option in preferences is it does the forward before the junk filter so users exchange account was getting hammerd
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

UPDATE: The best way to do this turns out to be filters in the individual users mailbox. I am going to still search for a way to do it for an entire domain but so far if you want to block a specific email address extension like .biz, .net, .xxx then filtering is how to do it.
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

how do I mark as solved?