x-spam header modification?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
yens

Post by yens »

Hello,
I need to change the header name from "x-spam-status" to "X-RC-SA" in order to differentiate it from any incidental spam assassin headers that might already exist in incoming messages.
I'm not finding this possible in the salocal.cf file, nor the amavisd.conf files. Can anyone offer some advice/point me in the right direction?

Thanks
yens

Post by yens »

Anyone out there that can help?
john.holder

Post by john.holder »

You can, but i'm not so sure that's a good idea.
I suspect you have a pretty good reason for trying, but if you trust anything based on the header that's incoming, it means that you've created a whole by which -- if it's discovered, will bypass the very check you wish to do.
For example, I can add any header I want to an outbound message. The reason it over writes them is because the sender might be lying to get around spam protection.
yens

Post by yens »

[quote user="john.holder"]You can, but i'm not so sure that's a good idea.
I suspect you have a pretty good reason for trying, but if you trust anything based on the header that's incoming, it means that you've created a whole by which -- if it's discovered, will bypass the very check you wish to do.
For example, I can add any header I want to an outbound message. The reason it over writes them is because the sender might be lying to get around spam protection.[/QUOTE]
Thank for the reply, John.
The hole that will get created is ok- I indeed have good reasons for that. Question is, where can I change the x-spam headers to what I want? Which config file is it?
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

there are 2 global config values. Here are mine for instance (I modified them)
zimbraSpamHeader: X-Spam-Flag

zimbraSpamHeaderValue: YES
I'm not sure if this dictates what zimbra SA adds to the messages, or just what the mailbox uses to know what e-mails to put in the Junk folder. My use case was I had a 3rd party antispam system that used that marked e-mails with that header before deliveering it to zimbra
yens

Post by yens »

I was able to change the zimbraSpamHeader via
#zmprov mcf zimbraSpamHeader x-rc-sa
and confirmed my change:
zmprov gacf | grep zimbraSpamHeader

zimbraSpamHeader: x-rc-sa
Sent an inbound message, and STILL I see the x-spam headers in the messages. Are there other configurations needed elsewhere to change ALL instances of 'x-spam' headers to the desired format?

I've also tried editing the amavisd file to no avail.
Any further input is greatly appreciated.
yens

Post by yens »

Still looking for the method to make an all-out change of x-spam-status header to the previously mentioned format.
Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

[quote user="yens"]I was able to change the zimbraSpamHeader via
and confirmed my change:

Sent an inbound message, and STILL I see the x-spam headers in the messages. Are there other configurations needed elsewhere to change ALL instances of 'x-spam' headers to the desired format?

Any further input is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
bquinata

Post by bquinata »

[quote user="yens"]I was able to change the zimbraSpamHeader via
and confirmed my change:

Any further input is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I can't find an older thread related to this topic, but from what I recall zimbra needs to be restarted for the change to be applied. I am scheduled to perform the same task later this week and a restart is one of my steps. I'll update on the outcome for future reference.
Ben
yens

Post by yens »

Thanks for the reply, Ben.
I restarted all zimbra services to no avail. I mucked around with the Spam Assassin .conf files as well, but no change took.