Deployment of filters, persona & other user settings

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Bernd K

Post by Bernd K »

Hello,
I searched the Documentation/Help, Forums and the Wiki, and did not find the answer, so hopefully this question is not redundant.
I just have set up the 2nd ZCS, having been running #1 for half a year now and being quite pleased with it. In this new server there are a lot of service e-mail accounts such as sales@..., info@..., support@... etc. These accounts are being handled by various natural persons. So the service accounts share their folders and delegations to the natural person accounts, and those in turn create personas that are automatically being used when responding to the said service e-mails, thus send as "sales@... etc.". Also in every natural person account filter rules for outgoing mail are set for each service e-mail adress that moves mail sent in the name of this adress to the sent-Folder of the service e-mail account (rather than leaving it in the sent folder of the natural person). As a result, serveral people can operate such a service e-mail account and easily access the mail history and see the current situation.
This functionality is just wonderfull for a webmail solution, even though it might seem trivial to a thunderbird user who would simply set up several e-mail imap/smtp accounts. As a matter of fact, while writing this I wonder whether it might be the easier solution to simply access these local service accounts via imap/smtp rather than by shared folders, delegation, personas and filter rules for outgoing mails.
Anyhow, my question is this: Even though it was only 8 natural users and 13 service accounts, it took hours to click again and again the same buttons to recreate similar or identical folder share permissions, delegations, filter rules etc.etc. So I figured there must be other ways to do this using configuration files, cli tools or the like. Figure out a large company that wants to set a particular mail handling filter rule for all of their 1000 employees? Or set up a persona in all mail accounts so that when responding to mails of a certain origin a particular sender id is used? How are these things to be automated/configured/scripted rathern than by mouse-editing of these accounts?
Any hints or links to the relevant documentation are highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Bernd
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

Anything that can be done via the gui can be done via the cli. These are 2 utilities you should familiarize yourself with.
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zmmailbox

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zmprov