Address auto-complete in ZCS 6.0.6

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
robertcl

Post by robertcl »

[quote user="mmorse"]As for the aliases, you'll have to test if it's your same problem, but there was a issue that's corrected in 6.0.7: Bug 45475 - Only the first 3 addresses per account are searchable in GAL[/QUOTE]

This bug doesn't appear to be my issue. The aliases are still searchable in the GAL. Some just don't auto-complete when composing.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="robertcl"]We have now seen 3 users with auto-complete not working. Shared address book and GAL auto-complete were both off on these accounts. Note, after a user sends a message to a recipient, auto-complete does work for that recipient afterward. I did turn on GAL auto-complete on one of the accounts and that works, so the problem seems limited to local address books.
A second issue we've seen is that auto-complete is completing for some aliases in the GAL but not others. I seems odd that aliases appear in auto-complete from the GAL to begin with. Is the a way to hide aliases in GAL so they won't auto-complete?
Rob[/QUOTE]
Have you done a Flush Cache ?
I had some very strange behaviour for a couple of users, and flushing the cache on the server resolved most of them. I am hoping the 6.0.6.1 patch will resolve the rest. So far it looks good.
On the second issue - are you referring to distribution list aliases - or actual aliases to individual accounts ? I have never seen aliases to our accounts appear in the auto-complete from the GAL. Are you sure those aliases are not just coming in from the Emailed Accounts list for those particular users ?
robertcl

Post by robertcl »

[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]Have you done a Flush Cache ?[/QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried this and then turned off GAL auto-complete for one of the affected users and the problem persisted.

[QUOTE]On the second issue - are you referring to distribution list aliases - or actual aliases to individual accounts ? I have never seen aliases to our accounts appear in the auto-complete from the GAL. Are you sure those aliases are not just coming in from the Emailed Accounts list for those particular users ?[/QUOTE]I'm referring to individual aliases. Distribution list auto-complete seems to be fine. I also just confirmed that the aliases that do auto-complete are from the GAL and definitely not coming from a local address book since they aren't present.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

Many of my users who had the auto-complete issues have reported the problem seems to be resolved after the patch. If anything changes I'll write back.
I do thank the Zimbra staff for releasing this as a patch. It is very much appreciated.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

I have 6.0.6 with the patch applied, and still see issues.
However, I think I have found something significant.
I looked in detail at one of the entries that I know exists - but it doesn't Auto-Complete properly.
Say the person's name is Mary Smith.
When I edit her contact record, I see FirstName=Mary, and LastName=Smith. Over on the right side of the screen, I have FileAs=Last, First
So far, so good.
However, if I am in the Contacts List, and click once on her name, instead of seeing her name listed as Mary Smith in BOLD at the top of the main page, I actually see Smith, Mary
Nothing I do in the GUI will change that.
Now, is where it get's interesting ...
I am implementing Z-Push for Zimbra, so I looked at the sync log for contacts, and found Mary Smith's record.
In addition to the Zimbra defined fields firstName and lastName - this contact record ALSO has a fullName field. It is this fullName field that shows up in the main contact record window when I click on her name in the contact's list.
Smith+353-87-5551212Mary.Smith@somewhere.comSmith, Mary+353-1-5551212Marymary.smith@wherever.com
I wonder if this is somehow causing a problem for the Auto-Complete logic.
I have checked a couple of other contacts that do not Auto-Complete properly, and they also have this fullName property set.
Does anyone know exactly where this contact data is stored on the system ?
I would like to go and clean it up for a couple of contacts to see if they then begin to Auto-Complete properly.

Note: my contacts were originally in Outlook - sync'ed at a desktop level with my WindowsMobile and Nokia phones. When we moved to Zimbra and I implemented Z-Push - I sync'ed across the contacts from my phone to the server. These records with this extra filed set must have come across from the phone to the Zimbra box to begin with.
robertcl

Post by robertcl »

I have some more info and a fix for our auto-complete issue which we have now seen with about 10% of our users. It is not just auto-complete but also contact searches that were failing. For example, if I had an address book entry for "John Doe" and start typing John in the "To" field or search contacts for John, you get nothing even though the contact is present in the address book. Once you send an email to "John Doe", auto-complete then works because the recipient is added as a duplicate entry to emailed contacts.
We did find a fix though. If you export and then re-import all of the users contacts, then both auto-complete and searches work as expected. I still don't understand why this is happening for some users or if there is another way to fix without re-importing contacts.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Superceeded by next post - Removing to avoid confusion - Can be removed
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

After the 6.0.6.1 patch, some of my users still had issues.
So, for me at least, all my remaining Auto-Complete issues appear to be caused by the "fullName" attribute existing for the particular Contact, and containing a name with a COMMA in it.
I cannot say for sure if all of these sync'd across from my phone - or if they were imported from my old Outlook.
In any case, the problem contacts have a fullName attribute set in addition to the firstName and lastName attributes that zimbra normally uses. What is more frustrating is that the zimbra GUI displays this fullName in BOLD at the top of the contact detail page if it is set - only falling back to firstName + lastName in the absense of the fullName attribute - but the GUI does not allow you to modify this attribute.
So, I have found a 3 step process to identify and fix problem Contacts.
Note, if you find your users have lots of problem contacts, it might be quicker to export all of their contacts, fix the fullName details in the exported file, and then re-import them.
Here is the process I came up with to resolve it for our system
Connect to zimbra server, and run "su - zimbra"
1. Run this command - replacing USERNAME with the username that the mailbox user logs onto the server with)
zmsoap -z -v -t mail -m USERNAME GetContactsRequest a n=fullName | grep fullName | grep ","

This will return a list of any contacts that user has containing a fullName attribute containing a COMMA. For example

Smith, Mary

Hood, Robin

2. For each name listed, run the following command - replacing USERNAME as above, and CONTACTNAME with some text from the fullName for the contact you wish to fix
zmsoap -z -v -t mail -m USERNAME GetContactsRequest | grep CONTACTTEXT
This will return a list of all contacts that contain the text (CONTACTTEXT). Find the one in the list that has the bad fullName attribute, and note the identifier listed in the cn part of the record
3. Edit a text file in the TMP folder on the server. I used /tmp/ModContact, and copy/paste the following text into it. T

REPLACEMENT FULLNAME (or leave blank to remove the attribute)

Then, for each bad contact found above, replace CONTACTID with the value from
save the file and run the following command (replacing USERNAME as above, and specifying the filename you created as the last parameter)
zmsoap -z -v -t mail -m USERNAME -f /tmp/ModContact

The fixed contact should be displayed.
Repeat for all affected contacts.
Then, have the user logout, close their browser, and login again. (This seemed important for me. I didn't see the changed behaviour until I did this)
Test Auto-Complete again.
Hopefully this process works for others too.
========================================
Possible enhancement:

If removing the fullName attribute is the preferred way to go, perhaps someone could come up with a script to do the following.

Select and return all USERNAMEs to a file

For every username in the file, select ALL contact records returning a list of the id's (
For every contact in the file

{

SED the ModContact file to change the embedded id

Run the command to update the Contact record

}
I am afraid it is beyond my shell scripting capability but shouldn't be too difficult based on the information above
That would provide a way to fix all broken contacts for all users on a server.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

Just wanted to report that we installed the patch on Monday night and so far so good; it appears the Auto-complete issue has been fixed. I tried not saying anything to my users in hopes that they would just report / ask about the fix. But apparently they only like to report the bad stuff :) (not really surprising though).
One user asked someone from my department if something had been fixed. Then I decided to solicit a response from a group of users who had reported the issue, but I knew wouldn't bite my head off if the issue still existed. They have all come back with positive responses.
Thanks again to Zimbra for taking the necessary steps to fix this problem.
gwjones

Post by gwjones »

To whom it may concern,
I was unable to get autocomplete from shared address books to work. I eventually found that there is a preference setting that needs to be set TRUE. This doesn't appear anywhere that I can find in the admin interface but can be set by the individual in their preferences under address book as "Include addresses in shared address books". It can be set with zmprov ma accountname zimbraPrefSharedAddrBookAutoCompleteEnabled TRUE which allows for scripting for large numbers of users. It may be that most admins already know this, but I haven't seen any reference to it so I thought I would post it here in case it could save someone some time and frustration.
Wendell
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is on our test box running 6.0.7.1 and not on our production 5.0.21 system.