Address auto-complete in ZCS 6.0.6

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dave_kempe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dave_kempe »

[quote user="soxfan"]I pretty much 100% agree with what you are saying, but I said it earlier and I'll say it again... Don't expect a patch. That is just not Zimbra's practice, and in this case it probably isn't even feasible because I think it affects several areas/programs. What we really need is for Zimbra to push up the release date of 6.0.7 (or put out an interim release - 6.0.6a or whatever you want to call it). Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be sinking in to Zimbra how big of an issue this is. Your "parking" analogy is right on. When you look at the problem from afar it might seem like a minor inconvenience, but when you are actually dealing with the problem it is much more than that.... Sorry, that's my rant for the day on this issue.[/QUOTE]

Well, aren't you wrong about that one :)

Seems that the Vmware acquisition was a great thing afterall :)

Well done Zimbra!
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]Well, aren't you wrong about that one

Seems that the Vmware acquisition was a great thing afterall

Well done Zimbra![/QUOTE]

Very happy to be proven wrong on this one. Not taking credit for this in any way, shape, or form but I have to believe that the several pleas both here in the forums and in bugzilla for some immediate relief for the problems that came about with release 6.0.6 by several people (including myself) had something to do with this patch / interim release coming out. As the saying goes "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Glad to see Zimbra was listening.
I don't think I've ever said anything negative about the VMware acquisition of Zimbra, and I very much agree that it is a great thing.
Of course, not to end of a negative note, but I haven't seen any feedback reports on the patch / release yet. I'll be a lot happier when I know for sure this is going to fix the problems (I'm mostly concerned with auto-complete) and I'm not getting hassled by my users every day.
dave_kempe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dave_kempe »

yeah auto-complete seems alot better now. However the patch changed my version string from Ubuntu to rhel4... seems to be cosmetic though.
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

[quote]For those who have the web-client open during the restart, a notice 'please refresh your browser' may state that you have also changed platforms; this is only because the jar isn't os-specific, and was just built on an RHEL machine.

[/quote]So zmcontrol -v and typing $set:get version in the search bar which grabs ZmSetting.T_CONFIG CLIENT_VERSION should still return Ubuntu for you with un-incremented build number; it's simply the reload notice code that calls BuildInfoGenerated.class.
We plan to avoid that in the future by adding a separate BuildInfo.Platform Bug 46915 - patch process displays wrong configuration to browser
robertcl

Post by robertcl »

We upgraded from 5.x to 6.0.6.1 this weekend and auto-complete is not working for at least one user account. When you start typing an address, you briefly see a message that it is "autocompleting..." but no results appear. It's early so, I'm not sure how many of our users are affected by this.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

I patched over the weekend... or at least I THOUGHT I did...
zmcontrol -v gives me:

Release 6.0.6_GA_2324.RHEL5_64_20100406133038 RHEL5_64 NETWORK edition
I'm almost positive this is the same version I had before. Would this update with the patcher? I did restart Zimbra after patching.
jmainwaring

Post by jmainwaring »

Confidence++
Good to see that Zimbra fixed the problem instead ahead of the new version. I'm not the kind of admin who likes to update to the latest version day on the first day it's released; 6.0.7 would have pushed me to updating sooner and had there been problems with that update things would have not been good in the office.
Our vendor is testing the update before they apply the patch, but I like to stay in the inner loop on info. If you've applied the patch please let us know how it's working as well as if you've encountered any other bugs that we should know about. I'm not big on trading one problem for another, especially if the new problem is worse.
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

@chauvetp zmcontrol -v output should report the same build # and platform you had before - doesn't get updated with patch - the only thing that does is the web client refresh notice.
@robertcl keep us posted (also knowing the accts settings, things like including shared contacts folders, will help repo)
robertcl

Post by robertcl »

We have now seen 3 users with auto-complete not working. Shared address book and GAL auto-complete were both off on these accounts. Note, after a user sends a message to a recipient, auto-complete does work for that recipient afterward. I did turn on GAL auto-complete on one of the accounts and that works, so the problem seems limited to local address books.
A second issue we've seen is that auto-complete is completing for some aliases in the GAL but not others. I seems odd that aliases appear in auto-complete from the GAL to begin with. Is the a way to hide aliases in GAL so they won't auto-complete?
Rob
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

So we'll have to nail down the autocomplete part. (No GAL, first time not available, once sent to it's fine subsequent attempts.)
As for the aliases, you'll have to test if it's your same problem, but there was a issue that's corrected in 6.0.7: Bug 45475 - Only the first 3 addresses per account are searchable in GAL
Also note this RFE targeted for Helix: Bug 14919 - hide aliases in GAL on a per-alias basis