Zimbra plan with IM

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
aletomi

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by aletomi »

Anybody knows what is the future of Zimbra with the IM feature, because according to this the IM server will be separated from Zimbra... Is that true???......
Regards....
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by uxbod »

IMHO I believe it would make sense to break out the IM server. The Meebo bar is nice but I would love to see ZWC integrate with a external server that is capable of connecting to all the major protocols.
odeleon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by odeleon »

I don't like that.
If I had any say in it I think the the XMPP server should be turned into an installable component so we can have the option of installing it or using an external server (if any).... pretty much the same way the MTA is treated. I don't mind the option of using an external server, but for me this is a strong selling point for Zimbra and one feature I wouldn't like to lose.
I would like to see improvements in the IM Ajax client, but not at the expense of losing the server. It could use things like conference rooms, multi-user chats and proxied access, to name a few.
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by uxbod »

What would you be loosing though ? If anything you would be gaining as I do not see Zimbra supporting MSN protocols in the near future; especially as they were removed quite a while ago.
odeleon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by odeleon »

You mean besides an XMPP server that I didn't even have to lift a finger to integrate into the mail and collaboration system?
(( My ¢2 ))
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by uxbod »

Yes fully appreciate that though I wonder if Zimbra will have a preferred one and will allow some level of automation in the configuration ;)
aletomi

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by aletomi »

It would be nice if Zimbra clarifies this topic because there are a lot of Zimbra users/customers who have implemented IM and a lot of people (including me) who have the intention to implement in the near future.....
Regards..
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by ewilen »

I agree, this needs clarification, a survey of existing usage, and a big heads up to existing customers.
At my site I've enabled IM but I haven't evangelized its use very hard. Nevertheless I may have users who have grown accustomed to its availability, and I'm happy with not needing to mess around with any other configuration.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by bdial »

IM gets dicussed at just about every webinar. in fact one just ended about half an hour ago where they discussed extending the IM to connect to remote networks (they had google talk, icq, etc.. icons up), transfer files via IM to/from the briefcase, and a lot of other stuff
aletomi

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by aletomi »

Yes, but finally Zimbra decides the future of IM!!!!..... So, what we need is to know the real roadmap about this feature, it will be very useful to clarify the future of our Zimbra's implementations ....
Regards.....