Zimbra plan with IM

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="dave_kempe"]Still doesn't mean we shouldn't agitate for an ongoing decent IM solution.[/QUOTE]I'm not suggesting otherwise, I'm merely pointing out (for future readers) that the feature as it currently exists will be removed in a not-too-distant release.
I don't believe, however, that the use of an IM server within Zimbra is a viable option and unless there's a major shift in policy I guess it will be removed as stated in the bug report. What replaces it should be the discussion, surely? The bug report states in the first comment that there will be integration with external IM server and the (current) bug reports that cover that are:
Bug 19398 – Integration with external IM servers (XMPP proxy support)

Bug 42786 – Implement XMPP "Send File" in ZWC

Bug 45932 – Remove IM server
Perhaps those RFEs should receive the attention of this discussion and votes (if you haven't already).
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
i2ambler
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by i2ambler »

The release notes state that the IM client is to be removed at a future date as well.. Thats a real bummer. As several others have said in this post, we have become somewhat reliant on the IM feature - whether beta or not. It seems to save alot of time as well as valuable email storage space, since users tend to like to IM each other rather than send emails then wait for a response..
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="i2ambler"]The release notes state that the IM client is to be removed at a future date as well..[/QUOTE]The RFE has been around for nine months and mentioned on the forums for a while (this thread was started soon after the RFE was filed).
[quote user="i2ambler"] Thats a real bummer. As several others have said in this post, we have become somewhat reliant on the IM feature - whether beta or not. It seems to save alot of time as well as valuable email storage space, since users tend to like to IM each other rather than send emails then wait for a response..[/QUOTE]As I mentioned above, the aim is to integrate an external IM server into the Web UI so feel free to add your comments and votes to the RFEs I've listed above. There's nothing to stop you continuing this thread but the most impact is by commenting/voting on the RFEs.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mdeneen

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by mdeneen »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]The RFE has been around for nine months and mentioned on the forums for a while (this thread was started soon after the RFE was filed).
As I mentioned above, the aim is to integrate an external IM server into the Web UI so feel free to add your comments and votes to the RFEs I've listed above. There's nothing to stop you continuing this thread but the most impact is by commenting/voting on the RFEs.[/QUOTE]
I'm a bit confused as to how integrating an external IM server is of any use if the ZWC IM client is removed.
Am I reading you incorrectly?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mdeneen"]I'm a bit confused as to how integrating an external IM server is of any use if the ZWC IM client is removed.
Am I reading you incorrectly?[/QUOTE]Yes, you are. Although the Release Notes state the IM Client feature is being removed as well as the server the bug report (and the links I posted above) point you to the intent to integrate with an external IM server - read the Functional Requirement document that's attached to RFE 19398.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jerryboi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by jerryboi »

Hello Bill,
I am a little confused about this too, can you please explain that bugzilla entry? The beta IM client has been removed but a new one is being developed? And the new one is being developed along the lines outlined in the Functional Requirements, is that the case? That client zimlet described in the pdf is not very different from the beta client that was removed, by the look of it. Can we expect a new client with much the same functionalities as the removed one? What release is that scheduled for? Do you have a roadmap I can check?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jerryboi"]I am a little confused about this too, can you please explain that bugzilla entry? The beta IM client has been removed but a new one is being developed? [/QUOTE]The IM server in the current version of Zimbra is the part that was Beta.
[quote user="jerryboi"]And the new one is being developed along the lines outlined in the Functional Requirements, is that the case?[/QUOTE]Most likely. The IM client facilites in future version of Zimbra will connect to an external (to ZCS) IM server.
[quote user="jerryboi"]That client zimlet described in the pdf is not very different from the beta client that was removed, by the look of it. Can we expect a new client with much the same functionalities as the removed one? What release is that scheduled for? Do you have a roadmap I can check?[/QUOTE]I'm afraid you'll have to wait for further details in the Product Portal to see which version it's targeted for.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jerryboi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by jerryboi »

Thank you, it is all clear now. Zimbra Product Management Portal used to be a little more informative regarding future releases. Looking at it now one can't help the feeling that vmware is pulling the plug on zimbra.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra plan with IM

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jerryboi"]Thank you, it is all clear now. Zimbra Product Management Portal used to be a little more informative regarding future releases. Looking at it now one can't help the feeling that vmware is pulling the plug on zimbra.[/QUOTE]I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion, VMWare has put a heavy and continuing investment into the success of Zimbra - it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise. The reason you don't see anything in there for the next major version is rather simple (and less of a conspiracy theory ;)), the next version is still under heavy development and there's nothing to place in PM at the moment. When it's closer to confirming which bugs/RFEs will eventually be targeted for the release you'll see the details in PM.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra