No more Canonical Address.. and now?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
stich86
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by stich86 »

Hi guys,
i've seen that on ZCS 6.0.7 there is no more Canonical Address..

I use this feature because I activate BB on a different domain (owned by ZCS), but when I reply from Webclient or BB it will send with the Canonical Address..
Is it possibile to modify via zmprov?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="stich86"]Hi guys,
i've seen that on ZCS 6.0.7 there is no more Canonical Address..[/QUOTE]It's just that it's currently not available via the Admin UI.

[quote user="stich86"]I use this feature because I activate BB on a different domain (owned by ZCS), but when I reply from Webclient or BB it will send with the Canonical Address..
Is it possibile to modify via zmprov?[/QUOTE]The feature will be removed in some future verrsion of Zimbra, you need to find another method to achieve what you're currently doing.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
11416Vladimir
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 11416Vladimir »

Why oh why did you guys remove this? What was it hurting? There are pleanty of users who don't want to worry about setting up persona's, have big enough hats that they don't want to hear about it, and the canonical address made life so much easier for the admins.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="11416Vladimir"]Why oh why did you guys remove this? What was it hurting? There are pleanty of users who don't want to worry about setting up persona's, have big enough hats that they don't want to hear about it, and the canonical address made life so much easier for the admins.[/QUOTE]You can find the answer to your question 'why' in the bug report.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
11416Vladimir
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 11416Vladimir »

I'm not sure I actually follow that line of reasoning, but maybe I haven't had enough coffee today. The problem I'm running into is the one described at the end of comment #38. There really needs to be way for a domain admin (without zmprov access) to set a prefered address for a user, without the user modifing persona's.
jterhune

Post by jterhune »

I'm scared of this becoming a problem for us.
We have all our accounts created as studentID@domain.edu with aliases and canonical addresses for each user of first.last@domain.edu so that users log in via their ID number (as they are stored in LDAP) but send and receive mail through their first.last address.
If canonical addresses are dying, we're clearly need to change the way we do things. What is the appropriate way to be doing things in the future, and is there a clean migration path that avoids me remaking several thousand accounts?
Thanks,

John
mackoftrack
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mackoftrack »

I see no reason to deprecate canonical addresses. We use this feature and need its functionality. I am very concerned that Zimbra is planning to remove this feature.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

If you read the first comment in the bug report you'll see the reason why it doesn't do what what people think it does, you will also see that the 'canonical address' isn't necessary as you can use Identities to get the same behaviour.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
11416Vladimir
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 11416Vladimir »

So what was the problem with replacing what it did with setting a default identity? There are reasons why users don't want to handle this themselves, good or bad.
keithop
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by keithop »

[quote user="11416Vladimir"]So what was the problem with replacing what it did with setting a default identity? There are reasons why users don't want to handle this themselves, good or bad.[/QUOTE]
This is very true.
We have many zimbra customers who for various reasons are setup on domain something.com but must have all their outbound email sent from somethingelse.com. They don't want any possibility of their employees changing their identities etc.
This was exceptionally easy with every version up until canonical name was removed. We simply did this as a simple admin task for them, job done, everyone happy.
If "canonical name" was confusing, why not just rename it to something sensible "Outgoing SMTP address" or something. This is something that remains easy to do on Exchange so this is a step backwards for zimbra unless I'm missing a nice easy and equally quick way to do it in Zimbra.