Building a general Zimbra package?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
RoyK

Post by RoyK »

Hi all
I've been using Zimbra for some time now, and I wonder what would it take to build a general Zimbra package for distros. After all, most of the software used by Zimbra are available from distro repositories, and making a package out of it, will allow far more people to use Zimbra, and with more users, things normally get better. More users will attract more developers et cetera. This can probably be done quite easily with the help from the Zimbra.com developers, but then, it seems to me they don't want this, for reasons unknown. My post to this forum earlier today about moving MySQL out of the Zimbra box concludes with the same (phoenix answered The simple answer is, you can't. Zimbra is designed and installed as a complete package (the packages are tuned for the requirements of Zimbra) and should be installed on a server without any other applications running on it.). The answer about Zimbra being "tuned for the requirements..." doesn't make sense. Large scale databases are always installed on separate machines to have that piece of hardware do its stuff the best way. Other parts of Zimbra can also be moved apart to make things scale better.
So could we take this discussion about whether or not to allow for scaling Zimbra better? It probably won't hurt the Zimbra commercial parts, since most of the people paying for Zimbra relies on support and closed products.
roy
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

In your other thread we were talking about your specific situation which, I'm assuming, was a single server? If you want scalability then you should look at the documentation for multi-server installation and the Zimbra architecture, try some of the threads in the forums as well. I think you should give the designers of this package some credit for knowing what they're doing with regards to scalability. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
RoyK

Post by RoyK »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]In your other thread we were talking about your specific situation which, I'm assuming, was a single server? If you want scalability then you should look at the documentation for multi-server installation and the Zimbra architecture, try some of the threads in the forums as well. I think you should give the designers of this package some credit for knowing what they're doing with regards to scalability. ;)[/QUOTE]
It was a single server with virtual machines running on it. The host is running MySQL, the guests are doing simple stuff like webserving.
Your answer is merely a circumlocution to what I ask. Zimbra is currently a collection of open source software, that should be easier to manage with packages than with the current monolitic system.
Why do you still keep to this monolitisim? Why don't you open it for real?
roy
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="RoyK"]Why do you still keep to this monolitisim? Why don't you open it for real?[/QUOTE]It is Open Source if you actually look at it and if you're keen on doing this then the source code is available for you to download and for you to do what you like with it (within the terms of the licence) - nobody is stopping you.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
RoyK

Post by RoyK »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]It is Open Source if you actually look at it and if you're keen on doing this then the source code is available for you to download and for you to do what you like with it (within the terms of the licence) - nobody is stopping you.[/QUOTE]
I know the license, I just wonder why you don't open it for the public as a package. It will help even the commercial part of zimbra gaining a lot
13546dalmate
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13546dalmate »

RoyK: As Phoenix said: You can do anything you want with the source code.

And in the fact that you can. I'm developing zimbra from the source code (for my private purpose),too. so If need, you can contact to me and we can discuss about how to develope it.

My email: dalmate@zing.vn