common addresses for multiple acc.?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

Hello,
Simple maybe stupid question. When you need some common Adresses for Multiple Accounts for example

foo@domain.com - account1@domain.com

foo@domain.com - account2@domain.com
do i need really distribution lists ?
normaly its jsut another virtual user / alias but you cant give the same alias to 2 or more accounts...
so i thouhgt mabye distribution list but i hoped theres a easier solution
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="10424bofh"]...so i thouhgt mabye distribution list but i hoped theres a easier solution[/QUOTE]It's called an Alias, have a look in the Admin UI.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

not working alias is only oen alias per one emailadress.

NOT one alias for 2 or 3 emailadresses. you cannot add more than one destination
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

so my personal guess of best solution is the following:
adding a resource.

using the inbox of the resource as a common folder

OR using forwaring mail option in that resource

(if you use second option then an autopurge of the inbox should be aplied)

any better idea ?
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

Create an account for the "virtual" address, foo@domain.com.
Then share the Inbox and Sent box for that account to all the people who will be "sharing" the "virtual" address.
Have each of the shared users create a Persona that sets the From/Reply-To to the virtual address, and check the box for "Use for all mail in this folder", setting it to the shared inbox.
After that, any mail sent to foo@domain.com will go to the foo account. All the shared users will see the mail in the shared "Foo's Inbox" folder. When they reply to messages in that folder, it will automatically set the From: header to foo@domain.com. For new messages, they just have to select the foo@domain.com persona.
We use this for our Helpdesk. helpdesk@domain.com is a resource account, shared out to 6 people. Each of those 6 people has a Persona configure for the helpdesk@domain.com address.
There are a couple downsides to this method:

* tags are not shared correctly, so you really should avoid using tags for the shared mailbox

* replies are put into your personal Sent folder, and are not incorporated into conversation view of the shared mailbox (you have to manually copy sent messages to the shared mailbox)

* the first person to read a message marks it read for everyone, so it's possible for messages to get missed by some people (per-user read status is missing)
However, once you understand those shortcomings, things are workable.
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

i know about that solution thats the one i mentioned bevore above. the resourceaccount is anyway an interresting thing (which im gonna ask right now in a new thread :-)
i dont think that solution is aprobiate for an helpdesk - you shuold take a look on tiket systems - much better for that special use - so i understand your thing with tags and missing mails :-) no way to keep track for shure
so i do not plan that feature for things like that.
what i dont like on that solution is im not shure how long this will work in zimbra. ife a good guess that this feature will be massively changed in a future version of zimbra ..
(try to login into your resource you gonna get a surprise then you know why hehe :-)
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

[quote user="10424bofh"]i dont think that solution is aprobiate for an helpdesk - you shuold take a look on tiket systems - much better for that special use[/quote]
Works really well for our helpdesk, manned by 6 employees. Been using it for a year now.
It doesn't replace a helpdesk ticketing system. But it works well for a common e-mail address for the helpdesk.
[quote] - so i understand your thing with tags and missing mails :-) no way to keep track for shure[/quote]
The messages aren't "missing". However, if the first person to read the message that won't be dealing with it forgets to mark it "unread", then it can be overlooked by others. "Oh, it's marked as read, someone else must be looking after it, therefore I won't read it."
[quote]what i dont like on that solution is im not shure how long this will work in zimbra. ife a good guess that this feature will be massively changed in a future version of zimbra.[/quote]
Why would it stop working?
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

because /im jsut guessing) they havent correctly implemented the resource feature by now.
its supopsed to be just an bookable resource not an full working account (as far i could read in docs/forums ..)
but the resource account is in fact a full acount. you can login, send and ercive mails and you can customize it with COS
they just removed the customizing dialog from the admin ui boot it looks very liek a real full account without using a license
so i think soonre or later they gonna take away those abilitys.
btw i still dont understand why a resource (in terms what they meant it should be) is such a big deal. i mean whats so massive important to book a resource but no real option (not official) for public folder...

its treaded on the same level as account and aliases and distribution list.
so my first thought was it is exactly that thing how you use it - an account to share resources /from calendar to mail

but not its not supposed to do like that (its even not supposed todo anything than accepting invitations)

my problem is im evaluating now zimbra for an service provider. if ther isnt an aprobiate way to set it up (or a way which may be deprecated since it looks like your way isnt officially supported) then i have a problem.
having an common mail account is a very basic groupware feature.

and i dont liek the idea of sharing xxx inbox with another user ... not so perfect solution