[SOLVED] upgrade NE to OSS

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

Hi all

Sorry for the duplication, but I cant seem to find any posts that match (though I did a while ago).
We are getting lots of budget cuts, and wont be renewing our NE license but would like to use OSS instead. I seem to remember seeing some posts about just installing the OSS version on top of NE and it will work - can anyone confirm this?
Any other tips welcome!
Thanks,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="captainmish"]We are getting lots of budget cuts, and wont be renewing our NE license but would like to use OSS instead. I seem to remember seeing some posts about just installing the OSS version on top of NE and it will work - can anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]That will work, make sure you take a full NE backup first (stop any incoming mail by blocking port 25) then take a copy of the /opt/zimbra directory structure and you should just be able to run the installer to do an OSS 'upgrade' - it also needs to be the same release of the OSS Zimbra as you have for your NE install.
BTW, have you spoken to your Sales representative about the situation?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

Thanks phoenix, appreciate the confirmation - Ill be testing first on a snapshot of the /opt/zimbra volume in a vm, so backout should be painless if it all goes wrong. Not spoken to the rep, but we have 0 to spend and I doubt they will be able to be that flexible!

Thanks again,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="captainmish"]Not spoken to the rep, but we have 0 to spend and I doubt they will be able to be that flexible![/QUOTE]That's always a difficult budget to work with. :( Thank heavens for Open Source. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

First test has been run on a snapshot, and after some messing around with file permissions (the "source" box had different uid for zimbra, so files were owned by postfix not zimbra on the test vm - zmfixperms didnt work so had to manually chown zimbra.zimbra for /opt/zimbra/log) the server is running, but I still get a popup saying that the license has expired! zmcontrol -v shows im running NE as well... Ive installed from zcs-6.0.5_GA_2213.UBUNTU8.20100202225756.tgz, dpkg -l output seems the same as the NE server apart from zimbra-core, which shows:

ii zimbra-core 6.0.5_GA_2213.UBUNTU8 ZCS Network Edition

and on the OSS downgrade test vm:

ii zimbra-core 6.0.5_GA_2213.UBUNTU8 Best email money can buy

Have I installed the wrong packages? I thought the NE ones were zcs-NETWORK-xxx

Possibly its because I still have the NE admin zimlets installed, do these need to be removed manually? The installer claimed that "This will remove all Network features, including

Attachment Searching, Zimbra Mobile, Backup/Restore, and support for the

Zimbra Connector for Outlook." but maybe it didnt manage to do that?

Any tips welcome!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

It isn't normally necessary to remove the NE zimlets manually (at least I haven't found it to be), however as they still seem to be in-place you can remove them and then reboot the server.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

So far what I have tried:
* Snapshotted /opt/zimbra from the main (NE) server, synced this to another machine.

* Snapshotted the synced snapshot, and mounted this snapshot rw to /opt/zimbra on a newly made vm (same os etc as main server)

* Ran the OSS installer of the same version (from zcs-6.0.5_GA_2213.UBUNTU8.20100202225756.tgz), got the warning that it will remove the NE features, proceeded with successful installation.

* Logged in as client, got the license warning

* Upgraded to OSS version 6.0.7 (zcs-6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8.20100616234246.tgz), upgrade went smoothly.

* zmcontrol -v shows

Release 6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 NETWORK edition.
Getting desperate now, I really dont want to have to transfer 150 users across "the hard way", any ideas anyone?
{edit} - is there any way this is because NE was not installed on the test vm? Possibly part of the uninstall of the NE that is missing?
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

Finally after much weeping and gnashing of teeth I got it to work. For anyone trying the same as me:
The NE->OSS downgrade/crossgrade/upgrade will only work if NE is installed on the machine. I had a sync of the entire /opt/zimbra volume and tried it on a clean server, this upgraded the installation but kept it at NE, even when installing >{current version} of the OSS packages as an upgrade.
I made a sync of the root volume and tested again with this, and the install went differently (part of it was removing network components from ldap), this time success - zmcontrol -v now shows its the OSS version. profit.