Urgent! Emails from internal user are put in Junk Folder

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1247salu

Post by 1247salu »

Dear guys,
Last weekend, we just upgraded zcs6.0.4 Network edition to zcs6.0.7 Network edition on Ubuntu 6.06 64bit server.
After upgrade, we observe some emails from a few internal users are put in Junk folder in recipient's email account. We tried to mark the sender is safe in Zimbra-Outlook, but we still see the emails are put in recipient's junk folder.
Anyone can help? Really appreicate!
Salu
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You need to look at the headers of the emails being sent to the Junk folder and see what the scoring is, you can also post the headers here and search the forums for some of the scoring settings.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
1247salu

Post by 1247salu »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You need to look at the headers of the emails being sent to the Junk folder and see what the scoring is, you can also post the headers here and search the forums for some of the scoring settings.[/QUOTE]
Thank you phoenix. I have reset the score setting back to zcs6.0.6 level and commented "DOS_OUT_LOOK_TO_MX". Don't know if this will fix the issue completely?
I observed a interesting thing, this issue only happened on a few internal users in remote location. If I sent test emails from their zimbra-outlook or zimbra webmail here, the mails were not marked as Junk.
brf
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.6_GA_1906.RHEL7_64 NE

Post by brf »

You didn't post details, but chances are you need to turn off the "X-Originating-IP headers" in the Zimbra Admin Console. This just got bad fairly recently (6.0.6 I think? maybe 6.0.7). There's a bug about it:

It's">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44384
It's honestly fairly outrageous that something hasn't been done about this by now. It means that in Zimbra's default config (with X-Originating-IP turned on), it literally junks every single mail sent from your own users when they're logged in remotely via Outlook+ZCO. DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX + RCVD_IN_PBL (which will be the case assuming they're on a broadband ISP) alone produce enough score to junk a mail. It makes no sense that either rule would be counted against a message sent directly into the server from one of your own local users. I understand Zimbra doesn't write SpamAssassin or its rules, but that's really not a good enough excuse for a product like Zimbra.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

In addition to the above, note...
[quote user="1247salu"]We tried to mark the sender is safe in Zimbra-Outlook, but we still see the emails are put in recipient's junk folder.[/QUOTE]
The safe sender interface within Outlook doesn't really do anything currently if you're using ZCO: Bug 33011 – Outlook blocked sender list does not work when using Zimbra connector
If you want to whitelist/blacklist a given address, you should to through your ZCW prefs, for now.
If you want to do it server-wide, you have to modify amavisd.conf.in. You can find information on this by examining the file itself, as well as searching the forums and wiki.
Just be aware that whitelisting by email address makes it easy for a spammer to get through by forging the source address.
1247salu

Post by 1247salu »

Thank you, guys. Really appreicate your reply. It really does help.
I think it is caused by zcs6.0.7.
sgrzy01

Post by sgrzy01 »

Just wanted to post this b/c I spent alot of time looking into why remote ZCO users were getting way more items put into Junk than others...
What eveybody has said about fixing this is correct:
-turn off X-Originating-Ip in the admin console
and/or
-add remote site to the MTA trusted network list
My issue was I was doing that but still getting a DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX=2.845
It wasn't until I actually looked into /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf and saw that my trusted networks where being listed per line:
trusted_networks 1.1.1.1/24

2.2.2.2/24

3.3.3.3/24
Exactly the way I had put them into the BOX in the MTA trusted networks area of the Admin client... Its a box.. so I entered one per line....
Wasn't until I sepreated networks by a space, saved and did a:
zmamavisdctl restart
did the networks appear correctly in salocal.cf

trusted_networks 1.1.1.1/24 2.2.2.2/24 3.3.3.3/24
and THAT fixed my problem....