Upgraded server memory from 1g to 16g expecting zimbra to fly but crashed !!! HELP

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
eliaslopez76

Upgraded server memory from 1g to 16g expecting zimbra to fly but crashed !!! HELP

Post by eliaslopez76 »

Release 6.0.8_GA_2661.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition.

I have a dell poweredge 2650 with 1 g of ram

My ubuntu version has PAE enabled so I decided to upgrade to 16 gigs of ram to see zimbra fly.

once I upgraded zmmailboxd couldn't start... due to some java heap problem,

I tried some of the modifications on the forum but none seem to work...
Now, I'm back with my amazing 1g of ram.

and It's working.

RAM is new, and it's good.
any ideas ?

some of the messages are:
Invalid initial heap size: -Xms4764m

The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Thanks in advance.

Elias.

:eek:
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

32-bit version yes?
Try just putting in just 4GB RAM total and let us know if Zimbra starts up OK.
Hope that helps,

Mark
eliaslopez76

Post by eliaslopez76 »

But that means I can not use my 16g in this server ? even if the OS has the PAE enabled ? how can I use those 16g ?
13445raj
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13445raj »

[QUOTE]how can I use those 16g ?[/QUOTE]

1) your hardware needs to support 64 bit

2) you need 64 Bit Linux OS

and

3) you need 64 Bit Zimbra for your OS
once you have these 3 you can use 16GB or more...
if your current hardware support 64bit and if you can afford little downtime then you can easily(after reading all wiki and fourms message of 32-to-64) move
Raj
eliaslopez76

Post by eliaslopez76 »

Thanks Raj
Now my server has capacity for 2 processors, and right now only one is installed... I purchased the other one and it will arrive tomorrow... do you think that I can run into trouble after installing this second processor ? (besides the fact that I already checked that is the right one, and from the bios/hardware perspective everything is going to be fine)
regards

Elias
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

I'm not seeing on Dell's site that the 2650 is a true 64-bit server in that it will run 64-bit operating systems with Intel VT extensions enabled.
Sure, you could run a 32-bit PAE kernel to "see" the 16GB, but you'll still be running a 32-bit OS, and that means adjustments to Zimbra to enable Java to actually start etc.
Hope that helps,

Mark
eliaslopez76

Post by eliaslopez76 »

Dear Mark:
Any specific guidance for implementing what you said ?
"and that means adjustments to Zimbra to enable Java to actually start etc."
cheers

Elias.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

32-bit Java cannot use more than about 1.5G memory. PAE won't help. You will be better off than with 1G, but you certainly won't be able to use the full 16G. Try -Xms1450m and scale up until it won't let you anymore.
Dell PE2650 does not support 64-bit CPUs (we still have a couple running). You need at least a Dell PE1850/2850. Too late now, but you probably could have found one for not much more than the price of the additional RAM and CPU.
eliaslopez76

Post by eliaslopez76 »

The hardware can handle 16g, what is the value that I have to put there ?
eliaslopez76

Post by eliaslopez76 »

the server can handle 16g... and if I issue a top command I can see those 16g... but zmmailboxd won't start...