Unable to make free space using " zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com emptyFolder /inbox"

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sadiq007
Advanced member
Advanced member

Unable to make free space using " zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com emptyFolder /inbox"

Post by sadiq007 »

so this was the only right solution? well i already try the same...even if i completely delete user from server as you suggest, but that was only make free only few space on hard disk instead of total space used by that user.

any other solution?
jorge_s

Post by jorge_s »

What's the size of the user's backup before deleting it? What happens when you restore the backup, how much space is used?
sadiq007
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sadiq007 »

size is same before deleting any user and after restoring any user.

....My simple question is that if my user1 having 7GB mails in his inbox and if i delete all his mails from inbox and then from trash...or even if i completely remove his account then at-least 6GB disk space must be free on my hard disk...but in my all mail server case... its hardly freeing 15% to 20% space of there inbox will be free instead of there 100% ...so where the other space is going?
flunda
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.0_GA_1659.RHEL6_64 @ CentOS_6

Post by flunda »

Hi, i had the same issue right now. You have to delete the whole account it seems..
Raunaq

Post by Raunaq »

Deleting emails does not necessarily means you will get the space freed as Zimbra does not keep a copy of every email of every email. It just keeps one copy and rest are hardlinks. Also check dumpster , if you emails are going there.
powergrid rourkela

Re: Unable to make free space using " zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com emptyFolder /inbox"

Post by powergrid rourkela »

Hi,
I have deleted all the mail from my Zimbra mail box (i.e from user@domain.co.in)
but still my inbox was showing 845 MB full (83%).
so how can i delete mails from particular users permanently ?
iomarmochtar

Re: Unable to make free space using " zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com emptyFolder /inbox"

Post by iomarmochtar »

Is there any error when you try to delete all mail from mailbox (using zmmailbox) ?

you may try to flush cache after run zmmailbox command in mailbox server where user mail data stored.
zmprov fc all