Some questions about Zimbra 7 NE.

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
julio.gomez

Post by julio.gomez »

Hello,
We are planning a large deployment of Zimbra NE 7 and I want to resolve some issues.
I've seen that from the Briefcase, you can not create spreadsheets and presentations in the trial version. Can I enable this functionality? How ? Some documentation ?
We are very interested in the online edition of documents. What options are about the formats like OpenDocument or OpenXML? I really would like to receive an email with a document, edit it in the bag and return the e-mail with the modified document.
I've seen in a Zimbra 7 webinar the possibility of sending SMS notifications. Where I can find documentation about this?
Thanks for all,
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

Welcome to the forums :)
The Network Edition Trial is fully functional so would be interested to understand where it says you are unable to create spreadsheets and presentations ?
Inline editing is not available yet; though it could well be on the roadmap for ZCS version 8. I would check Product Management Portal and if you do not see the type of thing you are wishing then please file an RFE for the enhancement.
For the SMS functionality the best place would be to read through the release notes.
julio.gomez

Post by julio.gomez »

[quote user="uxbod"]Welcome to the forums :)
The Network Edition Trial is fully functional so would be interested to understand where it says you are unable to create spreadsheets and presentations ?

[/QUOTE]
Well. I log in to Zimbra. I go to my briefcase. I click New. Select Document. I'm creating a new *text document*... but, and spreadsheets and presentations?
[quote user="uxbod"]

Inline editing is not available yet; though it could well be on the roadmap for ZCS version 8. I would check Product Management Portal and if you do not see the type of thing you are wishing then please file an RFE for the enhancement.

[/QUOTE]
It was also asking for some alternative. Some Zimlet that allows export and import, for example?
[quote user="uxbod"]

For the SMS functionality the best place would be to read through the release notes.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all...
millerdc

Post by millerdc »

With version 7 it appears they took out the ability to create spreadsheets and presentations. You can create documents and add tables though. You cannot download these docs but you can email them as attachments. The attachments can be viewed in MS Word and firefox. Not Webkit browsers or other text editors like Apples Textedit.
There is nothing in the release notes or admin guide that mentions anything about SMS. I was wondering about the same thing during the demo yesterday. I would also like to know about the SMS notifications.
fruitloaf

Post by fruitloaf »

[quote user="millerdc"]With version 7 it appears they took out the ability to create spreadsheets and presentations. You can create documents and add tables though. You cannot download these docs but you can email them as attachments. The attachments can be viewed in MS Word and firefox. Not Webkit browsers or other text editors like Apples Textedit.
There is nothing in the release notes or admin guide that mentions anything about SMS. I was wondering about the same thing during the demo yesterday. I would also like to know about the SMS notifications.[/QUOTE]
There is now the notifications section in the web client preferences. I imagine what the devs are doing is setting the notification address to the email address that sends their phone SMSes. Email -> SMS seems to be a common feature in the US but here in the UK I don't know how you can do that.
julio.gomez

Post by julio.gomez »

It's confusing because applications Spreadsheet and Presentations are there.
If I create a new document .. I open the application "Docs.jsp"( /zimbra/public/Docs.jsp ) But if I change Docs.jsp by SpreadsheetDoc.jsp or Slides.jsp ... I can open it.
millerdc

Post by millerdc »

[quote user="fruitloaf"]There is now the notifications section in the web client preferences. I imagine what the devs are doing is setting the notification address to the email address that sends their phone SMSes. Email -> SMS seems to be a common feature in the US but here in the UK I don't know how you can do that.[/QUOTE]
In the demo they showed off the new reminder feature for tasks. It clearly showed two separate checkboxes. One said email and had an email address and one said SMS. Maybe it was an in house zimlet? I have looked through the admin console and and preferences. I can't find anything for SMS.
fruitloaf

Post by fruitloaf »

[quote user="millerdc"]In the demo they showed off the new reminder feature for tasks. It clearly showed two separate checkboxes. One said email and had an email address and one said SMS. Maybe it was an in house zimlet? I have looked through the admin console and and preferences. I can't find anything for SMS.[/QUOTE]
Ah ok I missed the presentation so didn't see that. There are lots of email->sms gateways that will do this sort of thing for pennies per notifications so it should be pretty easy to replicate yourself.
rsweetnam

Post by rsweetnam »

The SMS feature is available in ZCS 7.0 but it is disabled by default.
You can enable it per COS. So to enable it in the default COS run this command as the zimbra user:
zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureCalendarReminderDeviceEmailEnabled TRUE
16326troublemaker
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 16326troublemaker »

[quote user="julio.gomez"]It's confusing because applications Spreadsheet and Presentations are there.
If I create a new document .. I open the application "Docs.jsp"( /zimbra/public/Docs.jsp ) But if I change Docs.jsp by SpreadsheetDoc.jsp or Slides.jsp ... I can open it.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... it looks like they are to be removed in future... But why they're are claimed as already removed?