Allowing Users to Add Personas In Alias Domains

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
In_The_Ville
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by In_The_Ville »

Anyone know if there is a way to allow a user to add a persona under an alias domain? I have a user under domain A, with three aliases. When he tries to add a persona from his Preferences menu, he can only see domain A and not the aliases. Is there any way for him to get a drop-down of the alias domains?
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Post by lytledd »

[quote user="In_The_Ville"]Anyone know if there is a way to allow a user to add a persona under an alias domain? ?[/QUOTE]
If you want the user to be able to add any alias, you'll have to check the "Allow sending email from any address" from the Administrators Portal, User's Profile => Preferences tab (At least under 6.10)
Doug
In_The_Ville
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by In_The_Ville »

[quote user="lytledd"]If you want the user to be able to add any alias, you'll have to check the "Allow sending email from any address" from the Administrators Portal, User's Profile => Preferences tab (At least under 6.10)
Doug[/QUOTE]

That box is checked, and they can add personas, but there is now way for them to pick an alias domain.
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Post by lytledd »

All domains have to be configured ahead of time in Zimbra. So, I I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. It'd help if you'd give an example.
For instance, our work server hosts 9 different domains, we have several users that have their main account and 1 or 2 aliase accounts on different domains. When they go to reply to a message that they received on 1 of their alias accounts, they can select who they will replay as from a pull down menu in Outlook.
Since I don't user Outlook, I'm going from memory, but I thought they could create an alias that wasn't limited to just the email address of any particular domain, but also include the domain name that they wanted.
Doug
In_The_Ville
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by In_The_Ville »

[quote user="lytledd"]All domains have to be configured ahead of time in Zimbra. So, I I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. It'd help if you'd give an example.
For instance, our work server hosts 9 different domains, we have several users that have their main account and 1 or 2 aliase accounts on different domains. When they go to reply to a message that they received on 1 of their alias accounts, they can select who they will replay as from a pull down menu in Outlook.
Since I don't user Outlook, I'm going from memory, but I thought they could create an alias that wasn't limited to just the email address of any particular domain, but also include the domain name that they wanted.
Doug[/QUOTE]
Here's the example. I host a domain, call it domain.com. The owner of the domain has asked for three domain aliases: alias1.com, alias2.com and alias3.com. I set them up as follows:
zmprov createAliasDomain alias1.com domain.com

zmprov createAliasDomain alias2.com domain.com

zmprov createAliasDomain alias3.com domain.com
Now, I see these domain aliases in my list of domains in the admin panel. However, when the user, whose account is user@domain.com goes into his Preferences, and clicks 'Add Persona', there is nowhere for him to indicate that he wants the persona to be under alias1.com, alias2.com or alias3.com. His only option is domain.com. I was pretty sure that under ZCS 6, there was a dropdown to select the domain.
Mo_Hong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Mo_Hong »

Has anyone solved this issue. I'm trying to setup a Persona, from a different domain (domain B) that is hosted on the same ZCS as our main domain (domain A), to send mail with it. I have setup an alias account on domain B that is targeted to my primary mailbox on domain A. I sent over an email and it arrived without problem. Now I'm trying to setup the Persona to send mail from may main mailbox on domain A using my alias from domain B, but the alias does not appear on the Preferences -> Mail -> Accounts dropdown when adding a new Persona.
Has anyone solved this??
Thanks in advance!!!
E.
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by gvillari »

The answer is on the second post of this thread!
Go to admin console-> edit the account (or COS)-> select the 'Preferences' tab and check the 'Allow sending email from any address' option.
Then, when you log in webmail-> 'Preferences' tab-> 'Account' option, you can add any persona!
Regards
13547sth

Post by 13547sth »

[quote user="gvillari"]The answer is on the second post of this thread!
Go to admin console-> edit the account (or COS)-> select the 'Preferences' tab and check the 'Allow sending email from any address' option.
Then, when you log in webmail-> 'Preferences' tab-> 'Account' option, you can add any persona!
Regards[/QUOTE]
The salient bit seems to be that the user must log out from- and then back into the web UI to instantiate this change. I think. (My alias list is so long that it's possible I missed the foreign-domain aliases the first several times through. Sure would be helpful if those were listed alphabetically rather than chronologically by creation time.)
-sth
gek

Re: Allowing Users to Add Personas In Alias Domains

Post by gek »

gvillari wrote:The answer is on the second post of this thread!
Regards
That method works, but let me make a little clarification.
In this case user will be able to send messages on behalf of any employee and any domain, which opens a security black hole.
That would be great to give him just domain alias list, from which he could choose. That option also exists in
"admin console-> edit the account (or COS)-> select the 'Preferences' tab -> Allow sending mail only from these addresses: "
But when i try to add here email with created domain alias, i get the following error:
Critical Invalid request
Message: invalid request: zimbraAllowFromAddress may not contain an internal account: user@example.com Error code: service.INVALID_REQUEST Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Sender
Is there a solution to this problem?
Is there a way to make it from cli ?

Thank you.
Last edited by gek on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gek

Re: Allowing Users to Add Personas In Alias Domains

Post by gek »

I have found that wiki article , that said:
CAUSE: Within 8.0 we have provided the ability to grant Send As and Send On the Behalf of rights within the ACL rules. Going forward, the zimbraAllowFromAddress or zimbraAllowAnyAddress will only support external addresses.
Will such an case be an elegant solution if I have for example 200 accounts auto-provisioned from the active directory local domain (@local.domain) for which I would like to configure the ability to send mail not only inside this domain within the organization but also outside, behalf of real global domain (example.com) ? Or may be will be better to make smtp relay or something also?