[SOLVED] zmprov error: ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: lo

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
wfweaver

[SOLVED] zmprov error: ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: lo

Post by wfweaver »

I have 5 total servers in my Zimbra install. On one of them, one of the MTA servers, I am getting the following error when trying to run zmprov commands:
ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)

I found posts related to Cert errors, but this doesn't seem to be a cert error. I stumbled upon it when I was trying to diagnose why this server wasn't being reported in the stats on the logger server. It seems to be processing email ok and delivering things properly, but apparently it is having trouble talking to the LDAP? Can someone direct me to the problem and its resolution? I assume fixing this will also fix the logger issue with this server? This seemed to happen after my latest upgrade to 5.0.7 a few weeks ago.
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Good day!
I get this same error on our MTA. I have to use the -l on the zmprov command to get it to work.
$> zmprov -l
This will connect to LDAP directly rather than using SOAP requests.
Also, our MTA do not show up in the server status, although we have logging working correctly. Don't know if that is normal.
DJS
wfweaver

Post by wfweaver »

Yes, you are correct that a zmprov -l does work. However regular SOAP use to work prior to the upgrade and does from every other server in the system even after the upgrade! And since it can't seem to talk to the logger server, the two seem to be related to me and I'd like to get that fixed. Maybe the zmprov is a red-herring, but I don't like it when things don't work and I don't know why, especially when they use to work! ;)
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

point it to one of your mailbox servers admin port with the -s option
zmprov -s mailbox.domain.com:7071
see if that works
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Agreed, I like it when everything works! :P
Now, we do not run LDAP replication on our MTA at this point due to an issue in 4.5.x we had previously. Are you running and LDAP replica on this MTA?
So, the system isn't syslogging to your log server at all in addition to SOAP requests.. I'd wonder if the server configuration isn't messed up in LDAP or some sort of DNS issue with that specific host.
Sorry, kind of shooting in the dark.
DJS
wfweaver

Post by wfweaver »

Well I at least got it logging again. Had to rerun: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmsyslogsetup on the server again for some reason. Don't know why that stopped or why it broke but that part is working now.
I still get the error though on zmprov commands via SOAP rather than LDAP on that one server. Those of course worked previously as well.
wfweaver

Post by wfweaver »

And to answer your other question, we currently do not have LDAP replicas on the MTA's, just the single master. That's on the slate to setup, but I don't have it yet.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

does using the -s option help? that still does it through soap.
wfweaver

Post by wfweaver »

Turns out that running zmlocalconfig |grep zmprov showed the problem. The results were:
zimbra_zmprov_default_soap_server = localhost

zimbra_zmprov_default_to_ldap = TRUE
on the working server and:
zimbra_zmprov_default_soap_server = localhost

zimbra_zmprov_default_to_ldap = false
on the server with the error. Solution was to either change localhost to a mailbox server OR change default_to_ldap to TRUE.