IE7 and IE8 slow for some messages

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
scontrix

Post by scontrix »

Hi,

when using IE7 or IE8 to open some e-mail messages (ajax webmail), it's very slow.

It takes from 20 to 30 seconds to open some messages. Apparently the affected messages has nothing special (no attachments).
The ZCS version is 6.0.10_GA_2692.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS.
I suppose the problem is on the javascript engine, since the html version of webmail works fine on IE. No problems opening the same messages with firefox.
Is it a known problem, or can it be solved with some settings?

Thank you in advance for any hints.

Best regards
lsikstrom

Post by lsikstrom »

I had the same issue as well. When I upgraded to 7.1 it fixed that issue.
Only word of caution I have for you going to 7.1 is that Firefox does not seem to send the message body. Sends message fine just not what you typed. Internet Explorer 8 and 9 work good but no drag and drop.
Also for whatever reason if you use Windows Vista and the Zimbra 7 desktop client you can not send messages, forward or reply to messages until you go to preferences and save. If you do this everything works. You will have to do that a lot.
Cheers
devicegrip

Post by devicegrip »

I am on Zimbra 7.1.1 with only about 60 users running on a quad core server with 12GB of RAM. Firefox run great, but IE always has a slight delay doing anything. All users are experiencing this issue across the board. Some IE users have their browsers lock up on them.
Is there a known issue with Zimbra and IE 8 or 9? Also a few Zimlets don't work with IE (google maps and contact organizer to name a few).
Any information on this would help. Many co-workers are complaining about the crashes and slowness.
Thanks in advance.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

I'm still on ZCS 6 and I'm not sure if there are any known issues affecting ZCS 7 with IE, but I would say in general IE has always been the slowest / worst performing browser with the Zimbra AJAX web client. Things got better with IE7, but IMO and experience it still lagged behind other browsers.
Do these users have any kind of extensions / add-ons installed? If you haven't already done so, it might be worth starting IE in safe / no add-on mode to see if that makes any difference.
rrao
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by rrao »

This is because the way IE handles RegEx partial-matche-then-fail scenarios particularly in GMaps and YMaps Zimlets. This was reported in https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59889 & was fixed in 7.1.2.

You can download the latest version 0.3 of Google Maps the Zimlet here: Google Maps from Zimbra | Zimbra :: Gallery
Please uninstall Yahoo Maps Zimlet if you have that along with GMaps. (as Google Maps is all what you need)
devicegrip

Post by devicegrip »

Thanks for the reply. It was the google maps zimlet that was causing extreme slowness and random lock-ups. I will look into updating Zimbra and the zimlet.
Will the latest Zimbra update fix contact organizer zimlet (running on IE) as well?
Thanks