[SOLVED] archiving Zimbra backups

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
12238admin1
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 12238admin1 »

What is the best way to safely archive Zimbra backups? We have both Full and Incremental Backups but we only want to save the Full Backups.

We are hoping to store the backups on a removable Windows server's hard disk if possible.

(Our Zimbra installation is on a Linux server)
What are our options? If we can't store them on an NTFS or FAT formatted drive, we"ll find another location.
Thank you in advance!
admin1
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

You should be able to save them to an NFS volume without an issue.
12238admin1
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 12238admin1 »

[quote user="Krishopper"]You should be able to save them to an NFS volume without an issue.[/QUOTE]

So, I can run "cp -R " to a mounted NFS volume? and then, if necessary, restore them without any issues like permissions, etc?
Thanks
admin1
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

Yes. You may want to do cp -Rp to preserve mode, ownership, and timestamps as well.
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

You can also send the backups to a CIFS share using Samba. This is how mine is setup. I created a Samba mount to my Windows File Server that has my backup hardware attached and configured Zimbra to dump the backups on the Samba mount.
12238admin1
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 12238admin1 »

Thank you Krishopper and xeon.
To Krishopper:

The space that the backups occupy in the source location seem much smaller than in the target (copied-to) location. Am I missing something? :p
To xeon:

Have you successfully restored from the backups that have been placed on a cifs share?

Since you backup directly to that share, I assume the time stamps are OK, but how do you manage the permissions and anything else that your Linux Zimbra host might require?
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

[quote user="12238admin1"]

To xeon:

Have you successfully restored from the backups that have been placed on a cifs share?

Since you backup directly to that share, I assume the time stamps are OK, but how do you manage the permissions and anything else that your Linux Zimbra host might require?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have successfully restored a backup via the share. I setup a ZimbraBackup user on my File Server (AD). Then used that username and password to mount the Samba share and ensure the folder I mount to the ZimbraBackup user has full control. I have not run into any permission issues with Zimbra or my file server.
12238admin1
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 12238admin1 »

Thanks again xeon.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

[quote user="12238admin1"]Thank you Krishopper and xeon.
To Krishopper:

The space that the backups occupy in the source location seem much smaller than in the target (copied-to) location. Am I missing something? :p[/QUOTE]
Since you're running ZCS 5, your backups default to using hard links for data that is redundant between full backups. If you use cp to copy individual full backups, you break the hard links and the data takes up a lot more space.
If you want to preserve the hard links then you need to use both a replication method and a target storage system that supports them. E.g. rsync -aH to a *nix system. cp --preserve=links should also do the trick but it may use more bandwidth (depending on what's already sitting on the target). On the other hand cp --preserve=links may be faster (depending on what's already sitting on the target, and bandwidth) and it'll probably use less memory.
Not sure about CIFS shares or the underlying filesystem.
See also: Ajcody-Backup-Restore-Issues - Zimbra :: Wiki