What is recommended upgrade from 5.0.7

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
basurangutak

Post by basurangutak »

Hi,
I have a very old version of zimbra (5.0.7) community edition. I want to upgrade to the latest.
Does anyone knows the correct path to take? I read there are issues when directly updating to the latest, and yet I cannot find the right instructions, or maybe I don't know the right words to search.
Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="basurangutak"]Does anyone knows the correct path to take? I read there are issues when directly updating to the latest,....[/QUOTE]Really? Where did you read that?
[quote user="basurangutak"]...... and yet I cannot find the right instructions, or maybe I don't know the right words to search.[/QUOTE]The instructions for upgrading Zimbra are always in the product Release Notes, go to the downloads page to get them and read them in detail before you upgrade. You should, of course, take a backup before you do any upgrade.
BTW, I'll also move this to the correct forum as it's not a question about Migration. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
basurangutak

Post by basurangutak »

Thanks phoenix. I'll check release notes.
momohteks
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by momohteks »

[QUOTE]Quote:

Originally Posted by basurangutak

Does anyone knows the correct path to take? I read there are issues when directly updating to the latest,....

Really? Where did you read that?[/QUOTE]
Even if it is not written, I experienced problems with nginx configuration when upgrading from 6.0.12 to 7.1.2 (see: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... 7-0-a.html )
The workaround for this was to first upgrade to 7.1.1, and then upgrade to 7.1.2.
So if you can, try the update on a lab (you will test your restoration / disaster recovery by the way)
Cheers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="momohteks"]Even if it is not written, I experienced problems with nginx configuration when upgrading from 6.0.12 to 7.1.2 (see: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... 7-0-a.html )[/QUOTE]That would only be relevant in a multi-server install and I don't believe the o/p has that. I guess you also filed a bug report for the problem you encountered?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
momohteks
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by momohteks »

Hi Bill,
The post I mentionned was just an illustration of the fact that bugs can arise in upgrade scripts.
The main idea is to TEST in a lab before trying on production server(s).
Concerning my issue, I opened a Zimbra support case (we are running NE), and I'm sad to say this but as soon as I told them that i found the workaround, the guy there just closed the issue without anymore searches.
Regards,