Zimbra web client stand alone

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
nikolayi

Post by nikolayi »

Can I install Zimbra web client without installing the zimbra server?

I have postfix /dovecot which is setup and working, and don't want to touch it.
Just want to add Zimbra web client, and let it connect via IMAP and SMTP to my postfix / dovecot server, to expose mailboxes to users via web interface.
Thanks!
fnoopdogg

Post by fnoopdogg »

Hi Nikolayi

No you can't do this - I don't think the Zimbra web client doesn't talk imap or smtp - it looks like it talks soap and/or rest and is proprietary to the zimbra backend server.

Have you tried zimbra desktop? This might do what you're looking for, and has a similar interface.
nikolayi

Post by nikolayi »

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I do know about the desktop, but I am on a hunt for a web based email client, which the users don't need to install, but rather open in their web browser on any device and OS. So desktop is of no interest to me at all. It is a petty that I can't just use the web client. I will possibly look at the whole package at some point, and if the Zimbra server supports my requirements, might consider replacing my Postfix with Zimbra so that I can run the web client, as it appears to be one of the better web clients out there.