zimbra server delivering email to pop3 clients timeout

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rllanes2004

Post by rllanes2004 »

hi everyone i have a zimbra 8.0.5 server installed and my clients are using POP3 proto for downloading emails ... in my LAN everything works fine ... but i also have remote dial-up users and some of them experience problems downloading email ...they can download emails but sometimes cant and the error its a connection timeout from the server side ... the mail client program its mozilla thunderbird and i already increase the connection timeout parameter in the TB conf... i was wondering that if there is a parameter in the zimbra server ... associated with postfix or other that i can change in order to increase the timeout before the server drops the connection... thanx in advance ...
Raunaq

Post by Raunaq »

Hey Are you using proxy?
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi rllanes2004,

Let us know the result of zmcontrol -v like Zimbra user in a SSH Console. Did you lost packets with this happens, I mean, if you do a ping YOURFQDN, at the same time, this occurs?

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
rllanes2004

Post by rllanes2004 »

first of all ... thanks for the replies ... yes im behind a proxy/firewall ... second the result of the command zmcontrol -v is Release 8.0.7.GA.6020.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition.

.... i recently upgraded to 8.0.7 ... but check this out ... i dont think that the issue is related to the proxy or the server en general due to that i hace many dialup clients and not all of them experience the problem ... in fact ... some of the clients that do has the issue ... does not have it all the time ... it comes and goes ... so im incline to believe that is a matter of dialup noise, congestion ... and the server simply drops out the client ... am i wrong?
rllanes2004

Post by rllanes2004 »

i cant test with a ping the connection to my server ...because im behind 2 firewall ... one is mine and the other is in my central headquarters... im only able to do a tracert ... that ends up missing in the way ... even when iam downloading emails fine.
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

I can't fine the bug number right now but there is a known Zimbra issue with timeouts which affects POP3 access over slow/high latency connections. This affects POP3 only, not IMAP.
rllanes2004

Post by rllanes2004 »

if you could point me out in the right direction here ... i will really appreciate it ... i have being having a nightmare regarding this issue
Raunaq

Post by Raunaq »

Ok can you do this

1. Disable NIO using local config parameter

#zmlocalconfig -e nio_pop3_enabled=false

2. Increase POP3 write timeout (increase from default 10s to 60s)

#zmlocalconfig -e pop3_write_timeout=60

3. Execute "zmmailboxdctl restart" after running above commands.
Rajib Askory

Post by Rajib Askory »

I have same problem from zimbra proxy server. Remote pc (wan) the outlook express client disconnect from the server if it recieving 5 mb or higher email. Please can u tell me how to increase the timeout of proxy server for pop3 connectivity?
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Did you try the commands that Raunaq provide?

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/