How to write to Zimbra LDAP?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
NordicEdge

Post by NordicEdge »

Hi, i'm about to provisioning users from Active Directory (loads of users) to a Zimbra server v6.x running on linux.
I can connect on port 389 but cannot find out how to authenticate so I actually can WRITE to Zimbra LDAP. I can su to zimbra from root and access all zm* commands. But how to auth via LDAP with zimbra or similiar?
Ideas?
Regards,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="NordicEdge"]I can connect on port 389 but cannot find out how to authenticate so I actually can WRITE to Zimbra LDAP.[/QUOTE]The simple answer is, you don't do that (you may break Zimbra) you use zmprov to provision users. Search the forums, I believe there's a script to provision users from AD.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

Bill is absolutely right. Do NOT write to Zimbra's LDAP server directly. There are other things that Zimbra does on the backend to add users.
There is also a feature request in bugzilla for automatic provisioning, so this should hopefully be solved in version 8.0. No promises though.
NordicEdge

Post by NordicEdge »

[quote user="Krishopper"]Bill is absolutely right. Do NOT write to Zimbra's LDAP server directly. There are other things that Zimbra does on the backend to add users.
There is also a feature request in bugzilla for automatic provisioning, so this should hopefully be solved in version 8.0. No promises though.[/QUOTE]
To bad they really RAPE ldap then. I love LDAP and when products using it - BUT customers cant use the buildin LDAP - it sucks!
Guess I have to write a zmprov script and copy it so zimbra can access it.
Thx guys,
10119metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 10119metux »

[quote user="NordicEdge"]To bad they really RAPE ldap then. I love LDAP and when products using it - BUT customers cant use the buildin LDAP - it sucks!

[/QUOTE]
Zimbra's LDAP is meant as an internal database, you shouldnt write to it.
That's one of the reasons why we're currently building an meta-directory from which

all applications in our cloud stack are controlled.