Upgrade ClamAV

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mmgomess
Advanced member
Advanced member

Upgrade ClamAV

Post by mmgomess »

Hi everybody.

I would like to know if is possible upgrade ClamAV to last release in Zimbra 8.0.x, 8.5.x and 8.6.x.

Marcelo
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Upgrade ClamAV

Post by phoenix »

Why do you think you need to do that? You really shouldn't be running older versions of ZCS, they should be upgraded to the most recent versions.

FWIW, here's my answers to the last thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60580&p=271510&hil ... av#p271510
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

My question was, why do you think you need to do the upgrade?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mmgomess
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mmgomess »

HI phoenix,

Thank you for your answer.

The company I work has customers with different versions of Zimbra and updates it is not always the easiest solution.

You know if its possible make this upgrade ClamAV?

Marcelo
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You reply doesn't answer my question?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mmgomess
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mmgomess »

We use clamav as well as antispam installing third-party signature databases provided by sanesecurity, FOXHOLE, Porcupine, Securiteinfo, MalwarePatrol, Yara-Rules Project, etc, but in recent days the clamav has shown the error message "WARNING: [libclamav] mpool_malloc (): Attempt to allocate 8388608 bytes Please report to http://bugs.clamav.net.

I saw in some forums that the best solution would be to upgrade clamav.

Do you agree with this or has another solution?
mmgomess
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mmgomess »

Anyone knows this error in freshclam.log?

"WARNING: [libclamav] mpool_malloc (): Attempt to allocate 8388608 bytes Please report to http://bugs.clamav.net.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade these server to the current ZCS 8.7 release, if you're determined to do the clamav upgrade then you can follow the (outdated) instructions in the wiki. There's always a possibility of breaking your server doing this and I'd suggest you take a backup before upgrading any component and have a Disaster Recover plan in place, just in case. As I've already mentioned, upgrading ZCS is by far the better option for you clients/users.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
buruguduy

Post by buruguduy »

"WARNING: [libclamav] mpool_malloc (): Attempt to allocate 8388608 bytes Please report to http://bugs.clamav.net.
Have that as well...can somebody help us. Don't know a lot about linux and zimbra.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Zimbra 7.1.3
I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade these server to the current ZCS 8.7 release, if you're determined to do the clamav upgrade then you can follow the (outdated) instructions in the wiki.
Just inherited it and am afraid to upgrade. It might break. I would also like to know how if possible to just disable the clamav so mails will route? Another possibility is if possible to disable the logs (just the logs) so I can stand up another server and keep it for archive purposes?
putt1ck

Post by putt1ck »

@buruguduy

You really need to upgrade that server, with both the operating system & mission critical Internet facing service on it being out of support.

Given the age of install I'd assume the hardware it's on is also old, so you might be able to take the relatively low risk "upgrade while you migrate" approach. In the meantime you should be able to shut down the AV service (clamd) by

Code: Select all

zmclamdctl stop
This means the emails will not be AV scanned by Zimbra and can mean they will get tagged in the subject with "***UNCHECKED***". See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60688#p271979 for more detail.