Another Letsencrypt method

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Another Letsencrypt method

Post by phoenix »

JDunphy wrote:Hi Bill,

I am making it worse the more I add to that wiki article. Yikes! ;-)
Hi Jim

Just a quick note to let you know I'll give this a shot later today. The wiki article is great and that's not the problem, it's most likely the way my brain works and don't forget I don't do this for a living. :)

I'll give a full reply hopefully later today.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi Jim

Success is in the air, with a minor hiccup. :)

Just to clarify, I did follow the instructions to get the manual process configured for a normal user and that went well for a few renewals. I thought recently that I should employ the deploy script to make it easier, that's where my problem started by installing it as the zimbra user. Running the exact commands you mentioned in your last post:

Code: Select all

% su -
# cd /opt/zimbra/
# mkdir .acme.sh
# chown zimbra:zimbra .acme.sh
# su - zimbra
% wget -O -  https://get.acme.sh | sh 
In that example it still fails with the permissions error I mention in my earlier posts.

Next was the install as a normal user then copy the directory to the zimbra directories, once installed I ran:

cp -r /home/acme/.acme.sh /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh
chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh
OK, so far but running the commands to issue the certificate failed with a permissions error for the log file. It appears the log file location is created during the acme script install and therefore points to a directory that was created in the original normal user directory. That needed to be changed:

vi /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/account.conf
Then modify the log file entry to point to the new zimbra user directory and include my CloudFlare API:

LOG_FILE="/opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/acme.sh.log"
Once that was done the issue and deployment and restart of ZCS went well, certificates installed and ZCS up with new certs.

Thanks for all your help with this problem. :)
:
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

That's great Bill...

Looks like it needed write permission in the local directory so simple fix is to change directory to make the first way work. Could also be 'cd /tmp'. Here is that additional step with the addition of that 'cd' command if /opt/zimbra is owned by root.

% su - 
# cd /opt/zimbra/
# mv .acme.sh .acme.sh-
# mkdir .acme.sh
# chown zimbra:zimbra .acme.sh
# su - zimbra
% cd /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh
% wget -O -  https://get.acme.sh | sh
Here is the entire fail and success that you mentioned. First the fail without switching to a directory where the zimbra user has write permission.

[zimbra@tmail ~]$ ls -ald .
drwxr-xr-x 54 root root 4096 Apr  3 12:29 .
[zimbra@tmail ~]$ pwd
/opt/zimbra
[zimbra@tmail ~]$ wget -O -  https://get.acme.sh | sh
--2019-04-03 12:30:15--  https://get.acme.sh/
Resolving get.acme.sh... 2607:5300:201:3100::5663, 144.217.161.63
Connecting to get.acme.sh|2607:5300:201:3100::5663|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 705 [text/plain]
Saving to: `STDOUT'

100%[=====================================================================================================================================================>] 705         --.-K/s   in 0s      

2019-04-03 12:30:15 (119 MB/s) - written to stdout [705/705]

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  174k  100  174k    0     0   619k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  658k
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:16 PDT 2019] Installing from online archive.
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:16 PDT 2019] Downloading https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/archive/master.tar.gz
sh: line 5827: master.tar.gz: Permission denied
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:16 PDT 2019] Download error.
Followed by the success... switching to directory where zimbra has write permission

[zimbra@tmail ~]$ cd .acme.sh
[zimbra@tmail .acme.sh]$ wget -O -  https://get.acme.sh | sh
--2019-04-03 12:30:38--  https://get.acme.sh/
Resolving get.acme.sh... 2607:5300:201:3100::5663, 144.217.161.63
Connecting to get.acme.sh|2607:5300:201:3100::5663|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 705 [text/plain]
Saving to: `STDOUT'

100%[=====================================================================================================================================================>] 705         --.-K/s   in 0s      

2019-04-03 12:30:38 (103 MB/s) - written to stdout [705/705]

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  174k  100  174k    0     0  1383k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 1430k
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:38 PDT 2019] Installing from online archive.
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:38 PDT 2019] Downloading https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/archive/master.tar.gz
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Extracting master.tar.gz
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Installing to /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Installed to /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/acme.sh
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Installing alias to '/opt/zimbra/.bashrc'
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] OK, Close and reopen your terminal to start using acme.sh
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Installing cron job
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Good, bash is found, so change the shebang to use bash as preferred.
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] OK
[Wed Apr  3 12:30:39 PDT 2019] Install success!
[zimbra@tmail .acme.sh]$ 
I have updated the wiki article.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

I have had a few people surprised they have automatically renewed and loaded letsencrypt certificates without intervention. Here is how and why:

This only happens if you chose the automatic DNS validation method with the zimbra deploy method and installed acme.sh using the zimbra user. If you never commented out that cron entry, you will find your zimbra servers with new certificates every 60 days installed and zimbra restarted to load your new certificate. During the acme.sh install, this entry is created and you will find this at the bottom of zimbra's crontab.

18 0 * * * "/opt/zimbra/.acme.sh"/acme.sh --cron --home "/opt/zimbra/.acme.sh" > /dev/null
acme.sh runs every night but won't pull a new certificate unless it matches a threshold or is forced from the command line. So how does it know what to do using just the --cron and --home command line arguments? If you initially did this:

% acme.sh --issue --dns dns_cf -d mail.example.com -d mail.example.net -d mail.example.org 
% acme.sh --issue --deploy --deploy-hook zimbra --dns dns_cf -d mail.example.com -d mail.example.net -d mail.example.org
You will find that /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com directory has a file: mail.example.com.conf which contains everything necessary to first renew your certificates and what DeployHook you used.

That means that if you run the above 2 commands to initially install a certificate and then deploy it with the Zimbra deploy hook you would never have to run any commands manually again and your certificates will be renewed without intervention.

This was one of the advantages of moving to the zimbra user and using the automatic DNS method with a deploy hook since you don't have to stop the proxy while attempting to validate your new certificates like with other methods. Warning: the zmcontrol restart has bugs that may not restart some daemons.. postfix is one example that I outlined that hopefully Zimbra is in the process of fixing.
Bug: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65332&p=288882&hil ... ta#p288882 I have my systems patched with my proposed fix since this happened to me and have not had a problem since. I ran renews every day for 3 months on a test server so the process seems sound at this point.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi Jim

Just a quick update.

I've recently had to rebuild my production server and, obviously, new certificates had to be installed. Thanks to your comments about about the permissions 'problem' it all worked a treat. The install of the acme client worked OK after 'fixing' the account.conf file, then a 'test' issue and then your Deploy script.. :)

The only thing worth a mention is that a copy/paste of your deploy script from the wiki gives rather strange formatting when pasted into a konsole editor, I'm assuming that's caused by the 'wiki'?

Thanks again for all your help, I can now be satisfied that they're easy to install (but still a pain to completely understand for me).
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

Thanks for the feedback Bill.

I updated the wiki with this link: https://github.com/JimDunphy/acme.sh/bl ... /zimbra.sh which may help with the cut/paste. I am becoming more confident to having this added to acme.sh mainline but wanted to make sure we had enough testing with it. It has become incredibly simple to add certificates and renew them automatically with this automatic DNS method. I use them for all our certs across any platform and any type of server... as of 6 months ago I now use them inside RFC1918 address space by using the --challenge-alias in conjunction with this DNS method. Sometimes, I think its too automated. I recently added that logger statement so I can have swatch look for it and notify me that my certificates have been swapped out because they were just happening without my knowledge and I still need to verify that zmcontrol restart actually restarted everything and not just say it did. :-)

Hint: To see when they will be updated by that built-in cronjob entry created by acme.sh during its install.

# su - zimbra
% cd .acme.sh
./acme.sh --list
Main_Domain     KeyLength  SAN_Domains                              Created                       Renew
Note: Letsencrypt is moving on July 8 to signing these using their own ISRG Root X1 key (Internet Security Research Group) .... https://letsencrypt.org/2019/04/15/tran ... -root.html ... This means that the cross-signature from IdentTrust won't be needed since the browsers have long had this ISRG Root X1 public key included in their trusted CA's. The problem is zimbra and its verify option with the java keystore. You can see what they have listed with this command:

# su - zimbra
% keytool -list -v  -keystore /opt/zimbra/common/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/security/cacerts -storepass changeit |grep -i owner
It appears they have not updated that keystore in ages so I'll be doing a little testing and perhaps one solution might be to add the new ISRG Root X1 public key directly via the zimbra deploy script with acme.sh ... In any event, I will keep everyone posted if we can expect problems but still too early to tell. This problem will affect all letsencrypt methods for Zimbra since we currently just chain the IdentTrust key with our signed key. I always knew that we would eventually have to update the IdenTrust key we are using in 2021 so we have some options to weigh what is best. Still lots of time as this is very fluid. The acme protocol is also tracking to become a standard so that bodes well for all commercial CA's - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8555 ... The future might be using acme clients like acme.sh for any commercial or free Certificate. Who knew? That could significantly make certificate creation and renewals vastly easier through the zimbra admin console.

If anyone from Zimbra/Syncor is reading this. You could do the community a big favour by sneaking in that ISRG Root X1 during one of your patch updates. It could save your tech support a lot of man hours should they not cross sign by default after July 8 for certificates.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

Another note on this... It's been a few years without problems but last night's renewal showed me something new. zmcontrol restart had a few problems.
Nothing cert related but related to how zimbra determines when a process is running to know when to restart it. I had already patched and reported the MTA bug
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65332&hilit=potential+bug+mta

so postfix will always restart properly but it appears there are a lot more places. The pattern we are looking for is 'kill -0' in their startup scripts.

Given the recent security threats, I thought I would share what changes when you replace a certificate... Courtesy of a morning tripwire report:

added: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/ca/acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
added: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/ca/acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/ca.conf
added: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/ca/acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/account.json
added: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/ca/acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/account.key
changed: /opt/zimbra/ssl/.rnd
changed: /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/jetty.pkcs12
changed: /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial_ca.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/conf/smtpd.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/conf/ca/commercial_ca_1.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/conf/nginx.crt
changed: /opt/zimbra/common/etc/java/cacerts
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/http.header
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com/mail.example.com.cer
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com/ca.cer.real
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com/fullchain.cer
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com/mail.example.com.conf
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/mail.example.com/ca.cer
changed: /opt/zimbra/.acme.sh/ca
Note: the changing to the latest acme protocol version 2 is not normal but you can expect it for acme.sh v2.8.2
Now what didn't start?

$ zmcontrol status
Host mail.example.com
	amavis                  Running
	antispam                Running
	antivirus               Running
	convertd                Running
	ldap                    Running
	logger                  Stopped
		zmlogswatchctl is not running
	mailbox                 Running
	memcached               Running
	mta                     Running
	opendkim                Running
	proxy                   Running
	service webapp          Running
	snmp                    Stopped
		zmswatch is not running.
	spell                   Running
	stats                   Running
	zimbra webapp           Running
	zimbraAdmin webapp      Running
	zimlet webapp           Running
	zmconfigd               Running
The solution was simple enough:

# su - zimbra
% zmlogswatchctl start
% zmswatchctl start
This is hardly enterprise software.

grep 'kill -0' zmlogswatchctl zmswatchctl
zmlogswatchctl:    kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null
zmlogswatchctl:          kill -0 $zmrrdfetchpid 2> /dev/null
zmlogswatchctl:          kill -0 $zmrrdfetchpid 2> /dev/null
zmlogswatchctl:        kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null
zmswatchctl:    kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null
zmswatchctl:        kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null
Looks like I have more patching to do around here. BTW, I don't see the point of reporting and showing them bug fixes if I can't get zmmtastatus patched on 8.7.11. Those that rely on zmcontrol restart to work reliably are on borrowed time if you do unattended automatic restarts for things like certificate renewal or backups. I guess I might go back to doing only ldap,postfix,nginx reloads and mailboxd restarting given that reality. The deploy hook I am using with acme.sh has them present so its easy enough to make that change and comment out the zmcontrol restart.

Hint: My biggest issues is that certificates get replaced without me noticing so I have a swatch monitor which runs on our central syslog machine notify me after the acme.sh Zimbra hook issues a logger command that it was renewed... I also have a script that does acme.sh --list and parses the renewal date to send me an email 1 day before I can expect to see a new certificate which is currently every 60 days. That keeps me in the loop. I can post this if there is interest. With a single zimbra instance this isn't a problem but if you do it for everything that isn't zimbra related that can be a lot of certs to keep track off. Fortunately, I have never had a problem with web farms, grafana, plex ... just the commercial stuff we pay for it would seem. The irony eh? :-)
Blisk

Post by Blisk »

Will this work for me?
I have installed also apache on the same server as Zimbra because it is host for web page. What I need is for users to not getting bothered with self signed certificate warning which scares everyone.
What I did is this for Zimbra and Zimbra mail works. Apache and web page works with letsencrypt.
Now I need letsencrypt certificate also for a user webmail, will this acme.sh work?

What I did is install zimbra all modules, and as far as I know zimbra install zimbra-nginx too.
After that I have changed ports

80 | http | mailbox / proxy to 60080

443 | https | mailbox / proxy - web mail client 60443

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailPort 60081

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailProxyPort 60080

And the ports for mail SSL:

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailSSLPort 60443

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailSSLProxyPort 4443

this is zimbra.conf for apache

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName webmail.mydomain.com
    ServerAdmin admin@mydomain.com
    Redirect / https://mail.mydomain.com:60443/
    ErrorLog /var/log/zimbra-error.log
   CustomLog /var/log/zimbra-access.log common
</VirtualHost>

This is zimbra_ssl.conf for apache

<VirtualHost *:443>
   ServerName www.mydomain.com
   ServerAlias webmail.mydomain.com
   ErrorLog /var/log/zimbra-ssl-error.log
   CustomLog /var/log/zimbra-ssl-access.log common
   SSLEngine on
   SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
   SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT:!SSLv2:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW
#   SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/zimbra.crt
#   SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/private/zimbra.key
#   SSLCACertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf

SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/cert.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/privkey.pem
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/chain.pem
</VirtualHost>

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/ZimbraApache
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

Blisk wrote:Will this work for me?
I have installed also apache on the same server as Zimbra because it is host for web page. What I need is for users to not getting bothered with self signed certificate warning which scares everyone.
What I did is this for Zimbra and Zimbra mail works. Apache and web page works with letsencrypt.
Now I need letsencrypt certificate also for a user webmail, will this acme.sh work?

What I did is install zimbra all modules, and as far as I know zimbra install zimbra-nginx too.
After that I have changed ports

80 | http | mailbox / proxy to 60080

443 | https | mailbox / proxy - web mail client 60443

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailPort 60081

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailProxyPort 60080

And the ports for mail SSL:

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailSSLPort 60443

$ zmprov ms zmhostname zimbraMailSSLProxyPort 4443

this is zimbra.conf for apache

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName webmail.mydomain.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/zimbra-error.log
   CustomLog /var/log/zimbra-access.log common
</VirtualHost>

This is zimbra_ssl.conf for apache

<VirtualHost *:443>
   ServerName www.mydomain.com
   ServerAlias webmail.mydomain.com
   ErrorLog /var/log/zimbra-ssl-error.log
   CustomLog /var/log/zimbra-ssl-access.log common
   SSLEngine on
   SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
   SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT:!SSLv2:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW
#   SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/zimbra.crt
#   SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/private/zimbra.key
#   SSLCACertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf

SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/cert.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/privkey.pem
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/webmail.mydomain.com/chain.pem
</VirtualHost>

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/ZimbraApache
Yes. I have yet to find anything I couldn't use it for... even inside rfc1918 space like my home network.

I use acme.sh to generate and automatically renew all my letsencrypt certs which includes apache, plex, grafana, nginx, zimbra, etc. You probably want to create a deploy script to make it easier on yourself and then you can have it work unattended via the crontab entry that is installed when you install acme.sh. I will provide my apache deploy hook which you can modify for your specific environment. Follow the guidelines I listed in my wiki article if this install hook stuff sounds strange to you. I put '%%%' where you need to verify it for your own environment.

export HTTPS_DIR="/etc/httpd/ssl"

#domain keyfile certfile cafile fullchain
relay9_deploy() {
  _cdomain="$1"
  _ckey="$2"
  _ccert="$3"
  _cca="$4"
  _cfullchain="$5"

_debug _cdomain "$_cdomain"
  _debug _ckey "$_ckey"
  _debug _ccert "$_ccert"
  _debug _cca "$_cca"
  _debug _cfullchain "$_cfullchain"

# %%% change this to your names and paths - make sure you have permission for user running .acme.sh
  cp -f "$_ckey" $HTTPS_DIR/www.$_cdomain/key.pem
  cp -f "$_ccert" $HTTPS_DIR/www.$_cdomain/cert.pem
  cp -f "$_cfullchain" $HTTPS_DIR/www.$_cdomain/fullchain.pem

# %%% you probably don't need this. Just puts an entry via syslog but I have syslog forward to a central server
  /bin/logger -p local2.info NETWORK "Certificate has been Renewed for $_cdomain"

# %%% verify this runs with proper permission for user that runs this command from cron. RHEL/Centos 6 specific
  sudo /etc/init.d/httpd reload

return 0

}
The --cron option is smart enough that it will cycle through all your certs and renew them automatically when required... try ./acme.sh --list to see when that would be. So you can have certs that are apache specific, zimbra specific, etc and the deploy hooks will be different all from the same .acme.sh location and user. Hint: look inside the directories for your certs for the .conf which contains the specific hooks... ie) ~/.acme.sh/example.com/example.com.conf

Hopefully, I haven't misunderstood your question and answered what you were asking.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

FYI,

That July 8, 2019 deadline has been pushed back to July 8, 2020 where Letsencrypt was planning on moving away from IdenTrust cross signing. The fix will be trivial on our end next year. Two methods come to mind but probably just replacing the IdenTrust with their X1 cert in the acme.sh zimbra.sh deploy script should allow old versions of Zimbra's java keystore to verify these certs.

Ref: https://letsencrypt.org/2019/04/15/tran ... -root.html