Disabling DNSCache completely

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rm-rf

Disabling DNSCache completely

Post by rm-rf »

I've been tracking down an issue on my system where my /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting changed (It's removing the nameserver 127.0.0.1 line).

This is happening when Zimbra is shut down and DNSCache deletes the "nameserver 127.0.0.1" line in my resolv.conf when the system shuts down per the zmdnscachealign script. The problem is I'm not using DNSCache. I originally installed my machine using DNSCache but I have since moved it to a private IP space and I'm using split DNS so I removed DNSCache using

zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceEnabled dnscache -zimbraServiceInstalled dnscache

But each time I shutdown, Zimbra still tries to shutdown DNSCache and runs the scripts. So, how do I stop Zimbra from stopping DNSCache each time it shuts down?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Disabling DNSCache completely

Post by phoenix »

If you have disabled the cache, stopped it and disabled it from being installed then it is, actually, disabled. :) Is it possible that you have a DHCP server on your LAN that might be making those changes? I have a server that has the ZCS DNScache disabled and nothing happens to any of my configuration files on that server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
rosch
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20220713.UBUNTU20.64

Post by rosch »

This has already been answered in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38705&start=10#p273129
rm-rf

Post by rm-rf »

I had assumed it was NetworkManager doing the deleting previously. It was not. I confirmed the culprit was Zimbra through auditctl. Once it was confirmed I tracked it down to the DNSCache script. I had already disabled it, but I did perform the sequence mentioned in the previous post and it didn't help (DNSCache still messes up my resolv.conf at each shutdown).

I have resorted to chattr +i but I'd prefer to stop DNSCache if possible but it sounds like I might be stuck with the small band aid solution (chattr)