Operating system updates

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
7224jobe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_FOSS Patch38

Operating system updates

Post by 7224jobe »

Hello, is it ok to update the Operating system packages on a Zimbra server? My Ubuntu 16.04 notifies me of several security packages updates every time I log in via SSH.
7224jobe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_FOSS Patch38

Re: Operating system updates

Post by 7224jobe »

I found this wiki page: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Best_Pract ... ge_Updates that, as far as I understood, says that it is safe to upgrade Zimbra packages and OS packages (since it tells to use yum update / apt-get dist-upgrade) after stopping all zimbra services except ldap and zmconfigd:

Code: Select all

zmcontrol stop
ldap start
zmconfigdctl start
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Operating system updates

Post by phoenix »

7224jobe wrote:I found this wiki page: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Best_Pract ... ge_Updates that, as far as I understood, says that it is safe to upgrade Zimbra packages and OS packages (since it tells to use yum update / apt-get dist-upgrade) after stopping all zimbra services except ldap and zmconfigd:[/code]
That article does not tell you that it is safe to upgrade the underlying o/s on a Zimbra server, it merely state the "Best Practices" for doing that procedure. If you think it's 'safe' then take a look at some of the forum threads about failed upgrades and what you might need to do for a recovery.

It is never, IMO, a good idea to do any major upgrade of the underlying o/s unless it's a minor point release - if all you're doing is some odd packages then there is probably not going to be any glitches and I'm sure you have good backup/restore and disaster recovery procedures in place and tested before doing any upgrades like this. :)

BTW, I'm going to remove your duplicate thread on this topic.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra