dumpster not purged

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sgiunchi

dumpster not purged

Post by sgiunchi »

I have a 100 users Zimbra 8.6, with a quota of 2GB each, dumpster enabled for 30days.

When the disk filled, I did a du of the store folder and I found it is 400GB.
There are mailboxes whith 25GB of used space, and I found that it's the dumpster not cleaned.

I manually cleaned the dumpster for some users, but how can I see why the dumpster is not cleaned automatically after 30days?
Should it be a cron job?

Thanks
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: dumpster not purged

Post by phoenix »

Have you checked that everything is set correctly? Check with this article: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enable_and ... a_Dumpster
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sgiunchi

Post by sgiunchi »

phoenix wrote:Have you checked that everything is set correctly? Check with this article: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enable_and ... a_Dumpster
Hi phoenix, thanks for the answer.
I did check the values, in all COSes:
zimbraDumpsterEnabled "TRUE"
zimbraDumpsterUserVisibleAge "30d"
zimbraMailDumpsterLifetime "30d"
zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled "FALSE"

at first I thought the problem was in the last value, but it's only the ability for the user to clean the dumpster.

Anyway, I have now disabled the dumpster and now I have 79GB of used space (it was 500 before cleaning the dumpster!), so I can't make other tests anymore.
But I'm still curious to know if I could see any error in the logs, for the dumpster inability to clean.

thanks
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

You need to set to TRUE zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled . So the dumpster will be emptied .
I think it is a non sense from Synacor that this parameter is set to FALSE by default.
sgiunchi

Post by sgiunchi »

DualBoot wrote:You need to set to TRUE zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled . So the dumpster will be emptied .
I think it is a non sense from Synacor that this parameter is set to FALSE by default.
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enable_and ... a_Dumpster

zimbraDumpsterEnabled – TRUE/FALSE determines if the dumpster feature is enabled or disabled.
zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled – TRUE/FALSE determines if the users can empty/purge their dumpster.
zimbraDumpsterUserVisibleAge – n, where n is the number of days to allow users to view and recover the messages stored in the dumpster.
zimbraMailDumpsterLifetime – n, where n is the number of days to keep items stored in the dumpster before automatically purging them.

If it's as you say, there's a bug in the documentation.
I think the dumpster cleaning happens with zimbraMailDumpsterLifetime
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled – TRUE/FALSE determines if the users can empty/purge their dumpster.
I confirm it is a bug into the documentation, set it to TRUE does not allow the user to empty the dumpster but allow the SYSTEM to do it when delay is reached.
sgiunchi

Post by sgiunchi »

DualBoot wrote:
I confirm it is a bug into the documentation, set it to TRUE does not allow the user to empty the dumpster but allow the SYSTEM to do it when delay is reached.
I was creating a bug in bugzilla, but I found this:
https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=105919
We'll see in the bug what's the real use of zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled.

Thank you
Stefano