Multi Domain Setup

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mxsm

Multi Domain Setup

Post by mxsm »

Hello everyone,

(the IPs are not my actual IPs)
I am currently running Zimbra with one domain and would like to add a second domain. My setup utilises only 1 server for all Zimbra services. I have my first domain mail.firstdomain.com which receives mails via a NATted IP (77.111.245.10 -> 172.16.15.10). I have added an extra NIC to the server and included a NAT (77.111.245.11 - 172.16.15.11) and changed the MX records of mail.seconddomain.com to point to my Zimbra server via the second NIC (77.111.245.11).

I have also added an entry in the /etc/hosts files to reflect: 172.16.15.11 mail.seconddomain.com seconddomain

In the Zimbra Admin panel, I have added the seconddomain.com and created test email accounts which can send and receive emails but with some challenges below:

- Mails from my seconddomain.com address can be sent but in the headers they show that they were sent out from mail.firstdomain.com instead of mail.seconddomain.com
- Incoming mails to the seconddomain addresses appear to be received by mail.firstdomain.com instead of mail.seconddomain.com
- The newly added domain uses the certificate of the firstdomain.

What can I do so that both domains seem independent of each other and each to use its own NIC or IPs?

Cent OS 7
Zimbra 8.6 Network edition
fs.schmidt
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Multi Domain Setup

Post by fs.schmidt »

Hi,

As far as I know:

- Mails from my seconddomain.com address can be sent but in the headers they show that they were sent out from mail.firstdomain.com instead of mail.seconddomain.com

This is the correct behaviour, your MTA server hostname will always be used.

- Incoming mails to the seconddomain addresses appear to be received by mail.firstdomain.com instead of mail.seconddomain.com

Same as the first question.

You need to setup SNI: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Multiple_S ... _for_HTTPS
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

mxsm wrote:Hello everyone,

(the IPs are not my actual IPs)
I am currently running Zimbra with one domain and would like to add a second domain. My setup utilises only 1 server for all Zimbra services. I have my first domain mail.firstdomain.com which receives mails via a NATted IP (77.111.245.10 -> 172.16.15.10). I have added an extra NIC to the server and included a NAT (77.111.245.11 - 172.16.15.11) and changed the MX records of mail.seconddomain.com to point to my Zimbra server via the second NIC (77.111.245.11).

I have also added an entry in the /etc/hosts files to reflect: 172.16.15.11 mail.seconddomain.com seconddomain

In the Zimbra Admin panel, I have added the seconddomain.com and created test email accounts which can send and receive emails but with some challenges below:

What can I do so that both domains seem independent of each other and each to use its own NIC or IPs?

Cent OS 7
Zimbra 8.6 Network edition
Zimbra supports multiple domains on a single IP address; no need to add a second NIC to the server at all.

After you add the second domain in Zimbra's Administration Console if you do nothing else users in the second domain can login at mail.firstdomain.com and get to their mailbox. You'd also set the MX record for the second domain to point to mail.firstdomain.com.

Now, if you want users in the second domain to be able to log in using mail.seconddomain.com, the in the Administration Console just set up a Virtual Host and in public DNS create a A record for mail.seconddomain.com that points to the same public IP address as the A record for mail.firstdomain.com. In that same Virtual Host setup process, you can add the SSL certificate chain for the second domain.

I can't speak to current versions of Zimbra, but earlier versions of Zimbra did not function as expected when dual homed without some hacking of the configuration files for certain services. Again, Zimbra really doesn't need multiple IP addresses; at least from what you describe you should be able to configure multiple domains no problem.

The largest Zimbra system I ever configured domiciled more than 20K domains, routed through a single prxy server with no issues using just one IP address.

Hope that helps,
Mark
lhuuvinh

Post by lhuuvinh »

Dear Everybody,

I am running Mail zimbra 8.8.15 with 30 domain.

Main domain: abc.com

29 Other domain have been running normal.

Now I want add more one domain : xyz.com.
I created domain : Home > Configure > Domain.

After that, I add dns: @ mx mail.abc.com and cname: mail Cname mail.abc.com

Result:
Sent email outgoing. IT was ok
Sent email incomoing: error

Send from zoho mail

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

admin@xyz.com INVALID_ADDRESS

Send from Gmail

Message not delivered
Your message couldn't be delivered to admin@xyz.com because the remote server is misconfigured. See technical details below for more information.
The response from the remote server was:
550 relay not permitted