Internet Explorer 9 Timeouts and lost keystrokes

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
bighorton

Post by bighorton »

We recently updated from ZCS 6.1.12 to 7.1.3-P1 (Network Edition). Since the update, I've been getting an increasing number of complaints of two issues.
The most common issue seems to be a sort of timeout. The user will be typing an email, and will get a pop-up window stating that "Lost connection to server." Clicking [Okay] will usually allow the user to continue working.
The second issue is similar; the user will be typing an email, and the browser will start dropping keystrokes, sometimes multiple keystrokes at a time.
These problems do not appear to occur in Firefox. In many cases I can advise users to simply use Firefox instead, but in some cases, due to other applications the user needs, Internet Explorer is the only real option.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Scott
fcjoe

Post by fcjoe »

At one time we had this problem (OSE) where the refresh e-mail time was set to something unbelievably short, and the client created so many connections checking mail that the session "got lost" among them all.
We have also suffered the missing keystroke syndrome; we recently upgraded our server (more cores, more RAM, more, more, more) and the missing keystroke problem disappeared. Until just a few minutes ago. :(
We have also seen a problem in which IE9 "goes to sleep"---no keystrokes, no clicking of buttons/links allowed. The work-around (that's a funny way to spell kludge) for that is to click anywhere outside the IE9 window, and then click back inside. We've seen this problem with other web apps besides Zimbra. Just thought I'd add that for when your user community starts reporting that problem.
Other than that, I have no wisdom at this time; mostly confirming that you are not alone....
[quote user="bighorton"]

These problems do not appear to occur in Firefox. In many cases I can advise users to simply use Firefox instead, but in some cases, due to other applications the user needs, Internet Explorer is the only real option.

[/QUOTE]
Ah, yes. We have vendors like that, too. :(
Joe