Getting warning on LDAP Backup : invalid credentials

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
wodel
Advanced member
Advanced member

Getting warning on LDAP Backup : invalid credentials

Post by wodel »

Hi,

We recently migrated to Zimbra Network Edition 8.8.9
After initializing the backup location for SmartScan, the backup process started.

On the notification window we're getting this warning, and we don't know what is it?
this is an automated notification from Backup about Backup LDAP Server.

Operation Backup LDAP Server Completed.

Operation Id: 41665798-7a6d-44d5-97be-46649004fe8a
Operation Host: mail.example.com
Operation Start Time: 23/07/2018 04:01:00
Operation Duration: 676 milliseconds
Scheduled operation

Network Modules NG Version: 2.9.0
Network Modules NG commit: fa86cdcf599b03f9f33024f6e3a4cea9d8844edd
ZAL Version: 2.4.0
ZAL commit: 60f296c5b612e7945970c30a6c4b6e6ebd0ad079
Zimbra version: 8.8.9_GA_3006 20180713045143 20180713-0518 NETWORK

DoBackupLDAP backup path: /opt/zimbra/backup/server/ldap_23_07_18#04_01_00.tar.gz
warning: [mail.example.com] invalid credentials
What does this warning mean?

Regards.
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Re: Getting warning on LDAP Backup : invalid credentials

Post by zimico »

Hi, i believe that you are using NE, then you can open a support ticket. Hope you already had solution from Zimbra support.
Regards,
ExTechOp

Post by ExTechOp »

Did you ever end up opening a support ticket, or should we, as we have the same issue?
ExTechOp

Post by ExTechOp »

ExTechOp wrote:Did you ever end up opening a support ticket, or should we, as we have the same issue?
I finally ended up opening a new support case about this. I'll try to report here what the corrective action was.
ExTechOp

Post by ExTechOp »

ExTechOp wrote:I finally ended up opening a new support case about this. I'll try to report here what the corrective action was.
Turns out when you start out with an old version of Zimbra and update it to current levels, the zimbra local config item ldap_root_password never ends up getting set. You can verify this value by running this on the server doing the backups:

Code: Select all

$ zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password
ldap_root_password =
If the password is empty like above, you need to change it to be your LDAP password. This was whatever value you set at install time, and probably would also be found in a modern Zimbra installation from the same store as ldap_nginx_password. The file /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save created when you do Zimbra upgrades may also contain what you want. This password should work for doing a ldapsearch like the following against your LDAP host:

Code: Select all

ldapsearch -D "cn=config" -w PASSWORD -p 389 -h HOSTNAME -s sub -x "(objectclass=*)"
Once you have set your password using zmlocalconfig -e -f ldap_root_password=PASSWORD you will need to restart the mailboxd service with zmmailboxdctl restart (or reboot the server, whichever is easier) and the error should no longer happen at your next backup.