locked out accounts: how to disable authentication with alias

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
crose9

locked out accounts: how to disable authentication with alias

Post by crose9 »

Dear all

in the last weeks we see brute force logins of thousands of individual IP addresses. This leads to 'locked out' accounts. In our setup, the official user email address is an alias to the account.

My Question: is it possible to disable authentication (IMAP, SMTP, Web) with the alias (only with the account name)?

In our case it would solve the 'Denial of service due to locked out accounts' completely.

Thanks

CU
Carsten
tonster
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.7.0_GA_1659.RHEL6_64_2016

Re: locked out accounts: how to disable authentication with alias

Post by tonster »

crose9 wrote:Dear all

in the last weeks we see brute force logins of thousands of individual IP addresses. This leads to 'locked out' accounts. In our setup, the official user email address is an alias to the account.

My Question: is it possible to disable authentication (IMAP, SMTP, Web) with the alias (only with the account name)?

In our case it would solve the 'Denial of service due to locked out accounts' completely.

Thanks

CU
Carsten
No, you can't disable logins from aliases.
crose9

Re: locked out accounts: how to disable authentication with alias

Post by crose9 »

Dear tonster, all

thanks for the qualified answer.

The problem with brute force attacks gets bigger and bigger.

Are there any thoughts about (optional) decoupling 'account' and 'email alias' on the zimbra roadmap? From my point of view this is quite more effective than any IP-block method (especially if one IP is only used once a day)

CU
Carsten