(Solved) Bug: MTA may not start with zmcontrol

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Re: Potential Bug: MTA may not start with zmcontrol

Post by JDunphy »

Update I received confirmation that today they closed the pull request so we are getting closer... Thank you to Robert Scheck who had one fix and pull request since Aug 2018 and pushed this through with pure determination. He wouldn't let it sit. I had given up myself and was happy to go it alone with my fix. I don't know how many man hours have been wasted on this but I would not be surprised if it's measured in the 10,000's of hours over the years when you understand the amplification effect of end users receiving errors on sending email, admins debugging it and call centers notified by can't send email because zimbra's mta start never started postfix. Simple to reproduce but never got enough focus and traction to warrant a quick turn around for such a fatal bug and simple fix.

If anyone from Zimbra or a Zimbra partner wants to improve the process, please show them this thread for ZBUG-798. They should strive to do better.

New Bug reporting:
Ref:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61359
Ref:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65081

I am not sure what was accomplished by the new bug reporting system allowing paying customers only to report bugs. I guess I should feel special but what I actually feel is a little sad for the community. Let everyone report bugs for the product and everyone can experience a better product as a result. I will leave a final observation - A successful test is when you find a bug but perhaps that is too old school these days.

BTW, I will add 'Solved' to the title of this thread after I see the patch so the timer is still running. :-)
florianh

Post by florianh »

JDunphy wrote:BTW, I will add 'Solved' to the title of this thread after I see the patch so the timer is still running. :-)
Two years have passed... Is the timer still running?
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

florianh wrote:
JDunphy wrote:BTW, I will add 'Solved' to the title of this thread after I see the patch so the timer is still running. :-)
It's an indefinite timer now. :-)
It never made it to 8.7.11 branch which was the long term release/stable branch when I reported this bug so they outlasted me as I moved to 8.8.15 where the patch was waiting for me. They went with the solution presented here and have postfix to determine if it's running.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

JDunphy wrote:
florianh wrote:
It never made it to 8.7.11 branch which was the long term release/stable branch when I reported this bug so they outlasted me as I moved to 8.8.15 where the patch was waiting for me. They went with the solution presented here and have postfix to determine if it's running.
From the notes in the bug, this probably won't make it into 8.7 releases as they're EOL.
florianh

Post by florianh »

jholder wrote:
JDunphy wrote:
florianh wrote:
From the notes in the bug, this probably won't make it into 8.7 releases as they're EOL.
That's clear, but if I understood JDunphy correctly, this is fixed in 8.8+ (?).
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JDunphy »

Yes this is fixed and is no longer an issue with modern versions of Zimbra. 8.8.15+ and above.

Jim