CentOS new kernel

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.

CentOS new kernel

Post by 181874 »

Dear community,

I am using Zimbra OSE now for 2 year - always the newest version - installed on a CentOS 7 vSphere VM.
Yesterday I tried to update the CentOS kernel to 4.20 via the El Repo repository.

So far Zimbra also starts and runs without any issues but it does not accept any incoming emails.
Unfortunately I hadn't had any time so far to do some basic troubleshooting.

Have anyone tried to install Zimbra OSE on an alternative kernel then CentOS standard kernel?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: CentOS new kernel

Post by phoenix »

There's no reason that changing the kernel would cause the symproms you describe. FWIW, I've been running the 'latest' kernel for a long time on all my SentOS7 servers and never had a problem and I'm on the release: 4.20.8-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra

Post by 181874 »

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply.
Strange... As soon as I activate the newest elrepo mainline kernel (4.20.xx) Zimbra does not accept any incoming emails.
Anyway I have found another show stopper for not using a newer kernel than the original one provided by Red Hat -> backup software Veeam as it uses a compiled kernel module which does not work with the 4.20.xx kernel.

Best regards,
Mathias
rsaeks
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.11_GA_3737.RHEL7_64_201

Post by rsaeks »

Is there any chance the new install may have installed postfix?
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Not likely. Most likely what happened is that you had postfix installed already but stopped and disabled, and an update changed that to the vendor preset for that service which is 'enabled'.

Sent from my EVA-AL10 using Tapatalk
pokkio

Post by pokkio »

pup_seba wrote:Not likely. Most likely what happened is that you had postfix installed already but stopped and disabled, and an update changed that to the vendor preset for that service which is 'enabled'.
totally agree.

after updating my zimbra from 8.8.9 to 8.8.11 and my centos box to the latest kernel, zimbra services wouldn't start.
turns out the updating process set postfix to enabled.
disabled it, then it was all good.