Zimbra Dumpster question

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mateusscheper

Zimbra Dumpster question

Post by mateusscheper »

Hi, quick question, just to make sure:
Will all the items (including the ones not deleted) older than X days be deleted or just the ones my users deleted?

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enable_and ... a_Dumpster

Also, does it work for my version?

Code: Select all

$ zmcontrol -v
Release 8.7.11_GA_1854.RHEL7_64_20170531151956 RHEL7_64 FOSS edition.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra Dumpster question

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

"Will all the items (including the ones not deleted) older than X days be deleted or just the ones my users deleted?"
No, only the files in the dumpster will be affected by the the attributes: zimbraDumpsterEnabled ; zimbraDumpsterPurgeEnabled ; zimbraDumpsterUserVisibleAge ; zimbraMailDumpsterLifetime

You may also tweak this as admin, in the adminUI.

"Also, does it work for my version?"
I did not tried this in your version, but my guess is "yes". If you want to make sure, just use the adminUI to do it.

Also, and as a warning to have caution, although these 4 attributes won't affect mails that are not under the "dumpster" folder, there are others that do indeed, will delete items under any other folder. Be carefull when you change these things. I've seen some little "disasters" because of one admin confusing the attribute/configuration.

Just in case you want to be really really really sure :), you could just modify 1 test user, and after you confirm the behaviour is what you expect, apply that to the rest of users (via cos).

gl!
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra Dumpster question

Post by pup_seba »

Also, please note that "dumpster" is not the same as your "trash". Dumpster is the place where the items move, after you delete them from the trash. For deleting items from the trash or spam folders, other attributes should be used. These ones, will only affect items in your dumpster.