Autocomplete fails after upgrade from 8.0.7 to 8.8.9

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
yellowhousejake
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.1.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Autocomplete fails after upgrade from 8.0.7 to 8.8.9

Post by yellowhousejake »

Recent upgrade from 8.0.7 NE to 8.8.9 NE on Ubuntu. Migration was through ZMig to backupNG. No real problems.

Today I have had users complain that some of their contacts do not work. They can see them with auto complete, but after selecting the contact it does not go into the To: field. Where the contact email address field contains "Some Contact" <scontact@example.com> it will not let you add it to an email even though it populates during the search. I have looked throughout our users and found some people, me for instance, with no contacts stored in that manner. My boss and several others have hundreds of contacts formatted that way.

If the contact email field contains "Some Contact" <scontact@example.com> it will not populate the To: field of the message.

If the contact email field contains scontact@example.com it will populate the To: field of the message.

I had initially thought this was a product of the migration to the new server. But, starting up the old server and testing there showed that both will properly populate the To: field from auto complete. Is this a bug or a preference change? If a bug I can call support and open a ticket. If a preference change on Zimbra 8.8.9, where is it?

Thank you.

DAve
yellowhousejake
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Autocomplete fails after upgrade from 8.0.7 to 8.8.9

I confirmed that I can edit the offending email field in contacts and change it only the email address and auto complete now works as it should populating the To: field in the message. It certainly looks like Zimbra 8.8.9 is not working with the email field populated as it could be in 8.0.7.

I am going to need some serious scripted regex to fix this across the domain.

DAve
yellowhousejake
Advanced member
Advanced member

Digging deeper, it looks like the problem is caused when someone copies an email address from a message and pastes it into a contact rather than right clicking and selecting "Add to Contacts".

So, no one else is seeing this in their Zimbra?

DAve
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

This was already the case in 8.7 IIRC.

Go through this thread, Frédéric released a script (and listed the bug related to the issue in last august).
http://lists.zetalliance.org/pipermail/ ... 01259.html
yellowhousejake
Advanced member
Advanced member

Thank you for the response but that is a different issue. Auto complete works in the sense that it finds the address you are searching for in the GAL, personal contacts, and emailed contacts. The issue lies in the contents of the address field within that contact. If there is only an email address, the autocomplete will populate the To: line of the composed message. If the field contains more than just an email address, selecting it will not populate the To: field on the composed message.

If I run the following command on a contact list it will find the addresses that are the problem. Four contacts found out of several hundred, none of these will populate the To: field of a composed message. When you select the found contact, nothing is populated.

zimbra@zimbra2:~/docs$ zmmailbox -z -m xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.org gact -f "/Contacts" | grep email:|grep \"
email: "Xxxx Xxxxx" <xxxxx@xxxxxx.org>
email: "Xxxx Xxxxx" <xxxxx@xxxxxx.com>

Removing the grep I see this. You will see contacts with the properly formatted email address, and the ones that are causing the issue.

zimbra@zimbra2:~/docs$ zmmailbox -z -m xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.org gact -f "/Contacts"
email: xxxxx@xxxxxx.com
email: "Xxxx Xxxxx" <xxxxx@xxxxxx.org>

( several hundred more contacts displayed )

If is easy to duplicate. Open an email and right click on the sender. Select "Add to Contacts", the address alone in the format xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx will be added to a new contact ready for editing. Then, right click on a sender and select "Copy", then click the "Contacts" tab, select "New Contact", and paste into the Email field. You will see this "xxxx" <xxxx@xxxx.xxx>.

Copy pasting an address into a contact no longer works for us after the upgrade.

Can you duplicate the problem?

DAve