zmspamextract fails to pull emails from junk or ham account

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
TLS

Post by TLS »

I also have this problem - 8.8.15P1 FOSS, Ubuntu 18.04.3
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

Has anyone been able to confirm that spam training works under 8.8.15+ ... If you can't pull the email from the junk/ham accounts then there isn't going to be any training for spamassassin/rspam/etc.

Run this command to see if you think you have spam training working with your 8.8.15+ install. You should not get any errors.

Code: Select all

# su - zimbra
% /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmspamextract -s -o /tmp/junkfolder
% /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmspamextract -n -o /tmp/hamfolder
IMO, the topic has the wrong subject given this should also be a problem with rspamd and other tools requiring email to train with.

Better subject topic might be: zmspamextract fails to pull emails from junk or ham account

This goes to a bigger question? ... how are you clearing out these ham/spam training accounts that your users have been sending email when they click spam/not spam buttons with their accounts. Does the admin interface still work to view emails with 8.8.15+ from the junk/ham accounts? If those special accounts are also empty, what is the purpose of those buttons? :-)

I thought this was a one off initially but there has been enough people having this problem, I am beginning to wonder.

Thanks

Jim
thefantas

Post by thefantas »

stolen time wrote:Same here too. I just decided to re-install rather than upgrade so it's a clean install - ZCS 8.8.15 open source (patch 1, provided that "apt upgrade" is all you have to do nowadays to patch) on Ubuntu 18.04.3 server.

It looks as if "spamtrain.log" contains nothing but these errors, and the Bayes filter has not started, so I suspect no training at all is happening.
Hell, I was about to reinstall Zimbra and do the same as you, but to get the same error? I think I'll have to install a previous version.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this party. :)
JDunphy wrote:Has anyone been able to confirm that spam training works under 8.8.15+ ... If you can't pull the email from the junk/ham accounts then there isn't going to be any training for spamassassin/rspam/etc.
That's correct.
JDunphy wrote:Run this command to see if you think you have spam training working with your 8.8.15+ install. You should not get any errors.

Code: Select all

# su - zimbra
% /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmspamextract -s -o /tmp/junkfolder
% /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmspamextract -n -o /tmp/hamfolder
As expected those commands fail for me.
JDunphy wrote:IMO, the topic has the wrong subject given this should also be a problem with rspamd and other tools requiring email to train with.

Better subject topic might be: zmspamextract fails to pull emails from junk or ham account
Topic title changed. :)
JDunphy wrote:This goes to a bigger question? ... how are you clearing out these ham/spam training accounts that your users have been sending email when they click spam/not spam buttons with their accounts. Does the admin interface still work to view emails with 8.8.15+ from the junk/ham accounts? If those special accounts are also empty, what is the purpose of those buttons? :-)
My system is only a private server and I don't have the same levels of spam as a 'business' server so I haven't really noticed any great change to my spam levels in the Inbox other than a very minor increase. My server has been well trained for a while and a lot of the inbound rubbish gets reject and that cuts down what I actually get in my Inbox.
JDunphy wrote:I thought this was a one off initially but there has been enough people having this problem, I am beginning to wonder.
This is a serious problem that seems to have been introduced a while ago, my junk folder has messages in there from the 6th August. When I first looked in there it wouldn't let me view the mail and threw a permissions error, running zmfixperms allowed me to view the mail but didn't fix the training error.

As many NE customers as possible should raise support cases about this problem.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
bb101

Re: zmspamextract fails to pull emails from junk or ham account

Post by bb101 »

phoenix wrote:As many NE customers as possible should raise support cases about this problem.
We raised an issue, at the start of September. After trying many different things, we were told that they already "have a bug for this, and I am waiting on news about the bug from the developers." The issue was then closed as nothing more could be done.

It's quite surprising that Zimbra haven't been able to release a fix for their broken spam filtering component for over a month now.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Thanks for posting your update. I'm surprised in their lack of interest in a broken function such as this, what is the point of having an anti-spam system if a major part of it has a serious bug and apparently no interest in fixing it.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

bb101 wrote:
phoenix wrote:As many NE customers as possible should raise support cases about this problem.
We raised an issue, at the start of September. After trying many different things, we were told that they already "have a bug for this, and I am waiting on news about the bug from the developers." The issue was then closed as nothing more could be done.

It's quite surprising that Zimbra haven't been able to release a fix for their broken spam filtering component for over a month now.
The Support Protocol as I understand it is not supposed to work like that. As I understand it, once Zimbra acknowledges a bug and assigns an internal Bug Number, you are entitled to get the bug number (though you won't have access to the details of the bug), AND your Support Case remains open until the Bug is rectified and a fix released. Periodically, Support should update your case with news of any progress from development on rectifying the bug.

If it were me, I'd open a new Support Case referencing the case number that was closed, and say you'd like to know the Bug Number and per policy, to have the Support Case stay open until the bug is fixed.

Hope that helps,
Mark
andrey.ivanov
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by andrey.ivanov »

Looks like the things are finally set in motion for this bug : here is a new commit 5 hours ago (so far only in devel branch) to fix it: https://github.com/Zimbra/zm-mailbox/co ... 3b36e311ee
So maybe in 8.8.15_P2 or _P3...
ljvanin

Post by ljvanin »

Hey

Has anyone managed to solve?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

ljvanin wrote:Hey

Has anyone managed to solve?
Did you not read this thread? There is an outstanding bug report for this and there will, eventually, be a fix for it.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra