Double compressed blobs

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Kalpazan

Double compressed blobs

Post by Kalpazan »

Hello admins,

I used to have multi-server setup with front-end running mta, amavis, ldap, etc. and back-end running mailbox server only. All this on 8.8.11.

Then I decided to go back to single-server setup and used zmmboxmove command to move mailboxes back to font-end server.

Then I upgraded the front-end to 8.8.15. Everything is good except that users started to complain that some mails appear corrupted in Outlook and Web client.

I started to investigate and found out that some of the blobs (.msg) files on the disk are compressed two times. For example, this command will result in perfectly readable "corrupted" message:

# cat 4138-10249.msg | gunzip -c | gunzip -c > 4138-10249.txt

What I assume have happened is that I had compression on the blobs enabled on the old back-end server and now on the new one also. And may be the mailbox service on the front-end did not realize that and compressed them again.

I need your advice on how to best deal with this situation? Currently I am thinking to write some script that will run through and decompress all blobs on the store volume. But then there are blobs that are compressed only once... hmmm
mja

Re: Double compressed blobs

Post by mja »

If you choose to write a script, you can use "file -z file.msg" to test if the compressed file is a mail or another zip.