Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
fs.schmidt
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Post by fs.schmidt »

Hello,

As a Zimbra Partner, I must say: The modern UI doesn't help up us to sell Zimbra at all.

I mean, the "modern UI" is just what most "webmail with dovecot/postfix" solutions have already deployed. A customer showed to me the RainLoop Webmail and I must say that it's very similar to the "modern UI" of Zimbra 9. The "modern UI" is just a needed improvement, the Zimbra UI is OLD guys.

What helps us selling Zimbra are the functionalities indeed. Drive, Docs, Connect, HSM, RealTime Backup, New admin Module, Mobile, Zimbra Connector for Outlook....

I work with ZImbra since version 6 and I must say: I admire what Synacor has achieved with ZImbra since 8.7, but the Modern UI is not a silver bullet. Maybe the Zimbra 9 could have a OSE package with a "limited" modern UI , without the integrations "out-of-the-box" like OneDrive, Google Drive, Slack, Dropbox, etc..

I realise that the community should contribute more to Zimbra as well.
Best regards.
Fabio S. Schmidt
http://www.bktech.com.br
Brasília - Brazil
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

fs.schmidt wrote:I realise that the community should contribute more to Zimbra as well.
That would come if Synacor actually bothered to get involved in the Community forums. You can't stand on the sidelines and say we want your contributions if you're not interested in the forums, developers need a reason to get involved and currently there isn't one. It's the silence that's killing these forums and the intention to stop providing builds of ZCS for the Open Source community, why would a developer want to contribute to what is effectively a dying project?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
rholighaus

Post by rholighaus »

Hi Jorge,

We are actually a paying customer with 75 accounts, so not big, but using the NE for nearly 10 years no.
The "new UI" sucks and none of my staff want to use it. It lacks loads of important functionality and is not modern.
For a modern mail client, check e.g. the one that's part of OnlyOffice.

So please help us push to at least continue the FOSS version of Zimbra for the future.
Otherwise, we will eventually abandon Zimbra. We need both NE and FOSS. That's always been the selling point.

Thanks,
Ralf.
jorgedlcruz wrote:Hi Barry!
If Synacor produces today a Zimbra 9 build, without the new UI and the NE packages, same as always, nothing of this discussion would happen. Yes, people would have complained that the new UI is not there, etc, but that's okay, same as there is no native Backup or AS in Zimbra OSE.