Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Post by phoenix »

https://blog.zimbra.com/2020/04/zimbra- ... perheroes/

Release Notes: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Releases/9.0.0

Before anyone asks, there doesn't appear to be an OSS version available (yet?) for download and the new Modern Web App is only available with an NE licence.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
yannjegard

Re: Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Post by yannjegard »

"Open Source Edition

Zimbra Collaboration 8.8 remains the Open Source Edition, and all security updates will be provided as patches to 8.8.15. There are no Open Source repositories specific to Zimbra 9."

:(
rleiker
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by rleiker »

phoenix wrote: Before anyone asks, there doesn't appear to be an OSS version available (yet?) for download and the new Modern Web App is only available with an NE licence.
For more details about the Zimbra 9 OSS version, please refer to the sub-heading "Changes To Zimbra’s Open Source Policy" in my post at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68073
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

rleiker wrote:
phoenix wrote: Before anyone asks, there doesn't appear to be an OSS version available (yet?) for download and the new Modern Web App is only available with an NE licence.
For more details about the Zimbra 9 OSS version, please refer to the sub-heading "Changes To Zimbra’s Open Source Policy" in my post at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68073
Thanks Randy, I already knew about that change in policy. It's a sad day for the Zimbra open source community and a distinct and continuing lack of interest in these forums by Synacor.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mterrasson

Post by mterrasson »

This is indeed a sad day for the opensource community.
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

Such a disappointment... :cry:
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

Looks like I've got about 3.5 years or so to switch to something else then.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

axslingr wrote:Looks like I've got about 3.5 years or so to switch to something else then.
I'm looking at Kopano but it's a bit tortuous to install still, as you say, there's about four years to get it sorted. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
JakeMS

Post by JakeMS »

Well I kind of saw this coming and felt that Synacor would eventually drop the OSS version. Unfortunately finding a comparable OSS product is difficult (Kolab is closest). However with Synacor choosing to not support RHEL8+ I was already thinking of finding an alternative, and now with this.. That's confirmed my decision to find a more supported OSS solution.
feva

Post by feva »

phoenix wrote:
axslingr wrote:Looks like I've got about 3.5 years or so to switch to something else then.
I'm looking at Kopano but it's a bit tortuous to install still, as you say, there's about four years to get it sorted. :)
I joined the zimbra world a little less than three years ago. When I made the decision to go with Zimbra, the other main competitor was Kopano. The deciding factor in choosing Zimbra at the time was Zimbra's documentation (official and wiki) and the amount of blog posts available by other enthusiasts - they all made it easier for me to learn and solve various problems. Kopano didn't have that at the time.

I understand the rationale behind Synacors decision - they seem to be wanting to position themselves to be attractive to companies when Exchange on-prem goes the way of the dodo.

However, my guess is that they're going to find that a lot of mindshare will drift to Kopano, specifically because of the community aspect. Zimbra had that community, and the documentation, tips, and help that resulted from that was extremely valuable. Over the past 3 years, the community aspect of Kopano has improved, and I'm sure it will be even better in 3 years, whereas Zimbra's community is going to go away. One will be more valuable than the other.

Oh well.