Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Re: Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Post by Martinwiertz »

Ok, great effort from Beezim. I will investigate how to create an installation from binaries. After installation are there updates available or via repository from Zimbra?

very unfortunate that Zimbra does not make the open source binaries available as it used to be. The FOSS users are considered ambassadors.....?
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

Martinwiertz wrote:The FOSS users are considered ...
unwelcome.

The blog post is pretty clear. Any nod to OSS is intended to help in markets where buzzwords are required to tick boxes. The purpose of the OSS release was as a stepping stone to an NE license.

I see it as a positive statement. After years of complete silence from Synacor, they've finally extended the middle finger in black and white to make it quite clear they aren't interested in any interaction unless you are a paying customer. They are a for-profit business, so it's entirely their choice.
barrydegraaff
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by barrydegraaff »

Martinwiertz wrote:I will investigate how to create an installation from binaries.
See https://github.com/zimbra/zm-build
--
Barry de Graaff
Email: barry.degraaff [at] synacor [dot] com
Admin of Zimbra-Community Github: https://github.com/orgs/Zimbra-Community/ and the
Zimlet Gallery https://gallery.zetalliance.org/extend/
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

Installation binaries => DIY
So I guess update binaries is the same => DIY
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi Barry!
I think, after reading all the comments, speaking with so many in the Community, and knowing the DNA of the product, etc. It is clear to me that what the biggest concern, and a simple way for Synacor to make everyone happy, is for them to keep building Zimbra Open Source, and giving the official build (without Zimbra Modern UI and Network Edition features).

I mean, it just takes 15 minutes to do manually, and they have already everything in place to auto-produce builds.

If Synacor produces today a Zimbra 9 build, without the new UI and the NE packages, same as always, nothing of this discussion would happen. Yes, people would have complained that the new UI is not there, etc, but that's okay, same as there is no native Backup or AS in Zimbra OSE.

It is that simple, the FAQ, the Blogs, the Newsletters, everything is good, and an extra for those no aware of the big effort Synacor makes for the Open Source, but it is just that extra mile Zimbra always provided, the official build.

That is at least my humble opinion. I can not conceive myself to need to build NextCloud, or OwnCloud, ONLYOFFICE, LibreOffice, or any other Open Source project, in order to use it. Zimbra is not a small, new project, it is a really respected, example for others, and WIDELY used project, and it can keep the massive user base by just shipping a Zimbra 9 OSE build, that simple, nothing new, nothing complex, I even have done it live
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

I think it is a nonsense to build the Open Source version without the modern UI. UI is what users see at first glance, this is what they will want Zimbra and maybe going to the NE for more features.
Old UI is old-fashioned so users would think Zimbra is old-fashioned.
ajcody
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ajcody »

interesting... curious how it shakes out
sgiunchi

Post by sgiunchi »

DualBoot wrote:I think it is a nonsense to build the Open Source version without the modern UI. UI is what users see at first glance, this is what they will want Zimbra and maybe going to the NE for more features.
Having already built packages would be necessary, but not open sourcing the modern UI is a show-stopper for me.
If Synacor development efforts are on modern UI, and zimlet v2 which don't work on old UI, how long can the open source UI last? Until v.9.5? Maybe until last 9.x version, but I bet it will not reach v.10.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Post by Martinwiertz »

DualBoot wrote:I think it is a nonsense to build the Open Source version without the modern UI. UI is what users see at first glance, this is what they will want Zimbra and maybe going to the NE for more features.
As a home/family user we use the webinterface and imap. Zimbra without the modern UI is still very useable in combination with a mailclient. So the availability of an installable package is needed.

Zimbra! Please provide opensource version including patches etc.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Martinwiertz wrote:Zimbra! Please provide opensource version including patches etc.
It looks like it's not going to happen, IMO. For further information you should keep an eye on these posts: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68073
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra