Zimbra 9 - FOSS

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra 9 - FOSS

Post by maxxer »

MaySky wrote:It seems that Zextras cared about us already

https://www.zextras.com/ru/zimbra-9/
This is a great news.

A shame they didn't join the efforts with BeeZim, probably because they want their own commercial offer
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

And they care about their business : the website is saying "No ads, no spying" but you need to fill in a form to download ...
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

Post by tonyg »

I'm watching this thread with popcorn and sweat, waiting for the drama to unfold.
  1. Are people gravitating toward the Zextras wonderful offering?
  2. Does anyone have trust issues? Anyone else thinking the source of the Zextras package should be compared with that from Synacor? (Prudent practice for all FOSS)
  3. Is the community initiative continuing? @BeeZim, @JDunphy, script update by @gibiscus, etc
  4. Is anyone actively running v9 FOSS, self-built or Zextras?
  5. Anyone running over Ubuntu 20 yet?
  6. Does the v9 source include the P1-P5 patches which are cumulative?
  7. Is there a plan for patching v9 after installed with community-collaborated instructions? That is, what will anyone here do when P6 comes out?
  8. Is v9 worth all of this compared to the published v8 OS edition?
As noted in a thread from June, I'm still suffering from a destroyed environment. I'd be happy to build new systems and keep trying a rebuild and reinstall if it would help to refine the details for this community effort. I will need to figure out how to re-integrate data from my v8 environment back into v9 ... I'm sure others need similar data-integration but I haven't seen what people are doing for this yet.

Really eager to move forward...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Just a few quick notes on your questions.

1. Yes, I am.
2. No trust issues for me. I would also agree that as a matter of good practice the source code should be audited.
3. I would guess so but not much information/feedback yet.
4. Yes, I have ZCS 9 running but I'm still fiddling with it.
5. No, I'm a CentOS guy. :)
6. I don't think what's what happens, The patches are cumulative and, I believe, they will only be 'integrated' when a new build is released.
7. Patches will be available via the Zimbra repository.
8. Yes, IMO it's always worth keeping up-to-date with new version releases for security etc., etc, etc.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

1. No. I am not. I hope desperately that Synacor will change its policy. Unless I decide to change my mail server for an other one.
2. I feel the same way as Phoenix
3. like Phoenix answer
4. Just deploying and using ZCS 8.8.
5. No, only Ubuntu 18.04 for the moment. I am an Ubuntero
6. I do not care for the moment, see first question and answer
7. via Zimbra repo
8. No if you compare between the 2 FLOSS edition. For the moment the security patches are available on 8.8.

Regards,
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

I've had a go at this, but there are some issues. Firstly, it does build perfectly fine. I did adapt what @gibiscus posted. If you look at the zimbra-store.sh on about line 98 or 99, there is the mkdir for convertd. The problem is, that is in the "if" section for NETWORK edition. So if you go a little higher than this if statement, and copy the mkdir for convertd from the NETWORK if statement post above the if NETWORK statement, then it will create this during install. I guess the Zimbra devs missed this one, hence the problems trying to build OSE. This is how it looks after the change:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext-common
    mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/convertd

if [ "${buildType}" == "NETWORK" ]
    then
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/backup
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zimbra-archive
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/voice
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/mitel
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/cisco
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zimbrasync
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/network
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/com_zimbra_oo
      mkdir -p ${repoDir}/zm-build/${currentPackage}/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/convertd
here you can see just above NETWORK I added the creation of convertd at this point.

The problems I then encounter are when I run install.sh for a clean install. My output then looks like this:

Beginning Installation - see /tmp/install.log.8q9M9AWz for details...

zimbra-core-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                            zimbra-timezone-data will be installed.
                  zimbra-common-mbox-conf-rights will be installed.
                           zimbra-common-mbox-db will be installed.
                    zimbra-common-mbox-conf-msgs will be installed.
                          zimbra-common-core-jar will be installed.
                   zimbra-common-mbox-native-lib will be installed.
                         zimbra-common-mbox-conf will be installed.
                         zimbra-common-core-libs will be installed.
                   zimbra-common-mbox-conf-attrs will be installed.
                         zimbra-common-mbox-docs will be installed.
                                     zimbra-core will be installed.
                          zimbra-ldap-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                     zimbra-ldap will be installed.
                                   zimbra-logger will be installed.
                           zimbra-mta-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                      zimbra-mta will be installed.
                      zimbra-dnscache-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                 zimbra-dnscache will be installed.
                          zimbra-snmp-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                     zimbra-snmp will be installed.
                         zimbra-store-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                       zimbra-jetty-distribution is missing.                                    ERROR
                          zimbra-mbox-store-libs will be installed.
                                 zimbra-mbox-war will be installed.
                       zimbra-mbox-webclient-war will be installed.
                   zimbra-mbox-admin-console-war will be installed.
                                zimbra-mbox-conf will be installed.
                             zimbra-mbox-service will be installed.
                                    zimbra-store will be installed.
                        zimbra-apache-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                   zimbra-apache will be installed.
                         zimbra-spell-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                    zimbra-spell will be installed.
                         zimbra-proxy-components is missing.                                    ERROR
                                zimbra-memcached is missing.                                    ERROR
                                    zimbra-proxy will be installed.

Unable to find missing packages in repository. System is not modified.
I tried this again, enabling Zimbra package repository, which now resolves the missing items, but I get the following error:

ERROR: Unable to install required packages
Fix the issues with remote package installation and rerun the installer
Shouldn't this be possible without Zimbra package repository? Any ideas? I'm trying on Ubuntu 18.04, but will try 20.04 later if we can get this resolved.

EDIT:

Looks like some dependencies are still in the Zimbra Repository so this must be used to install. Kind of makes the question about using the Zimbra repository unnecessary. If you cannot install without it, it should just be enabled and not even ask.
Last edited by ianw1974 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

As it turned out, my /etc/resolv.conf was trying to be replaced via zimbra-os-requirements, and it had been blocked (immutable), and caused the package failure and since this was a higher requirement, the rest of it failed. Just waiting for rest of clean install to work now and see what happens.

EDIT:

Ubuntu 18.04 worked fine for clean install. Ubuntu 20.04 build.pl doesn't support yet:

=========================================================================================================
FAILURE MSG : Could not determine BUILD_ARCH
SYSTEM ERR  : No such file or directory

=========================================================================================================
--Stack Trace-- (15199)
./build.pl:146 called from main::GetBuildArch
./build.pl:83 called from main::__ANON__
./build.pl:176 called from main::LoadConfiguration
./build.pl:1070 called from main::InitGlobalBuildVars
./build.pl:1086 called from main::main

attempted providing --build-arch, but then got another error with PKG_OS_TAG, so I think for now we can't do this yet. Maybe when Synacor provide for Ubuntu 20.04 it will be possible.
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

In case anyone is interested, I've created a couple of scripts to help automate this. The only manual thing is the SSH key creation, as this needs to be added to the users' github profile. The scripts can be found here: https://github.com/ianw1974/zimbra-build-scripts

The first script installs the dependencies. The script is configured to run on CentOS 7, CentOS 8, Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04. It saves you having to go through the zm-build documentation if you decide later to build for a different system.

The second script clones zm-build, and patches zimbra-store.sh to create the convertd directory - so also saves everyone manually having to do this. Once this has been done, it will then run the build process using config.build. For now, config.build is configured to build for 9.0.0 but for future releases, all you need to do is edit the contents of config.build to change the version numbers and then run the second script to build eveything. Alternatively, I will make releases on my github and provide a config.build pre-configured for that version. Then it will save the need for anyone to edit it.
alex70

Post by alex70 »

@ianw1974

Hello Ian,

first of all, thank you for your job... you are giving a very large contribution with Zimbra new release.
I have a testing server running 8.8.15... I would like to give a try to your script.
What is not clear to me whether this script creates a new compiled package that after that I have to run to install/update Zimbra to 9 or this script already install or update a preexistent Zimbra version?

Thanks

Alex
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

Hi @alex70

The script automates all the manual steps you would have to complete using the zm-build github. So it makes things really easy. So the steps would be:

1. Add your SSH key to your github profile.
2. Run 01-build-deps.sh which will install the required dependencies. The script has been coded to check what Linux distro you are running, and what version and run the appropriate commands, be it apt-get install or yum install/dnf install.
3. Run 02-build-zimbra.sh which clones the zm-build repository, patches the zimbra-store.sh to fix the mkdir issue, and then runs build.pl for you with the version info inside config.build.

You will then have the zcs-whateverversion-yyyymmddhhss.tgz which you can then extract and run install.sh to install or upgrade your existing Zimbra installation. The scripts automate the build process to give you the archive file that we used to be able to download for free - what was previously the Zimbra OSE edition.

ian@elise:~/Downloads$ ls -lh | grep zcs
-rw-r--r--  1 ian ian 308M Oct 15 13:20 zcs-9.0.0_GA_0001.RHEL7_64.20201015103555.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 ian ian 294M Oct 15 18:12 zcs-9.0.0_GA_0001.UBUNTU16_64.20201015172814.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 ian ian 308M Oct 15 13:39 zcs-9.0.0_GA_1.RHEL8_64.20201015124032.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 ian ian 296M Oct 13 10:20 zcs-9.0.0_GA_1.UBUNTU18_64.20201013092939.tgz
as you can see this is what you get after running the last script (I built all these versions to check/verify everything works as intended). As you can see the filename will look familiar to what you downloaded previously for 8.x versions of Zimbra. I had a 8.8.15 test installation of which I used to upgrade to 9.0.0. It's basically to simplify the build process, in the least amount of commands possible, and everyone could run this, and have a success with building Zimbra.

More info related to above steps is in the README.md on my github repo.