Contact Groups and Shared Contacts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
seidler

Contact Groups and Shared Contacts

Post by seidler »

Hi,

we have some troubles with our Zimbra installation regarding shared contacts. We are managing a central contact list (think "clients") and some groups. The central contact list including the groups is shared to several users (mostly read-only shares). There is a usability problem with the groups though:

Let's say user C is the owner of the central contact list. Further let's think of a contact group G that user C has created. User C has shared the contact list and groups to users A and B. Now when C adds contact K from his personal contacts to group G, it will show up just for for him, but for users A and B, this contact will be missing from the contact group G, because the contact K is in an contacts folder which is not shared to anyone.

Now there are at least two usability problems:
  • It is not possible for user C to find out from which contacts folder he has added contacts to group G. At least I don't know how to find out from the contact group in which contacts folder the contact is originally stored.
  • Even when adding contacts to a group, it is not easy to actually determine whether or not the correct contact is added, because the search results do not show this information. If there is a way to show it, that would help.
So for now I can train them to add contacts to contact groups solely by finding the contact in the correct contact list (central contacts) and adding it from there.

But I would like to know whether there is a way of restricting contact groups (i.e. only contacts from the same folder can be added to a contact group) or at least finding contacts that are in contact groups but are not stored in the same contact folder.

Thanks,

Stefan