Mail configuration issue

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
pennybristow

Mail configuration issue

Post by pennybristow »

First time Zimbra installer. Well versed with Exchange and windows AD. Remedial at Linux. Be kind!!

I installed Ubanutu 18.04 with Zimbra Collaboration 9

this is in my lab environment.

-In this lab my windows domain is sample.net and the exchange mail server is internalservername.sample.net
-My DC, internalDCservername.sample.net, has a dns record for my new internalubantu1804servername.sample.net which is installed on a vmhost on that same sample.net domain.
-The ZIMBRA install is using the domainname sample.dev and all user accts are using extension sample.dev
-My existing exchange server users have mail accts that are sample.net accts
-We also need to send mail OUTSIDE of our lab to other email address (in this case I will call it sample.com for simplicity)
-My existing exchange server is NOT acting as a relay server at all for Zimbra it is on its own, it has its own external DNS MX and A record.

My problem is this:

-I have no mail routing issues from either the .net accts or the .com accts TO the .dev accts
-I have no mail routing issues FROM .dev to .com
HOWEVER
-Mail is getting stuck in deferred as it is trying to send to my DC server on port 25.

I got every confused with your documentation as most of it referred to earier versions of Ubantu that didnt use Netplan. My UBantu does NOT have DNS server installed at all.

I really do NOT want to use my exchange server as the relay I want this environment self sufficient.

What did I do incorrectly?:
host file is pointing to internal addresss of the zimbra server aka sample.dev
/etc/bind/named.conf.options is pointing to the external IP address of our Zimbra MX record for the sample.dev
the netplan shows DNS server as my internalip address of the DC.

netplan data
netplan data
NetplanforZimbraServer.png (12.66 KiB) Viewed 7239 times
tonster
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.7.0_GA_1659.RHEL6_64_2016

Re: Mail configuration issue

Post by tonster »

I don't know anything at all about netplan, so I'm not sure how to help with that (if it matters at all; it may not). That said, can you please share the error message in the logs for messages getting stuck in the deferred queue? It's hard to say what's going on if we don't have an error message.
pennybristow

Post by pennybristow »

Imageshowingmailfailuretodotnet.png
Imageshowingmailfailuretodotnet.png (43.52 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
looking in the mmc at the monitoring it just shows a time out but its trying to deliver the mail to the domain controller on port 25 rather then the exchange server.
pennybristow

Post by pennybristow »

im not sure which log I should even look at here.
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

Hello,

Zimbra SMTP logs are in /var/log/zimbra.log

Regards,
pennybristow

Post by pennybristow »

this is all it shows again same data trying to telnet to the windows domain controller NOT the mail server.

Sep 23 20:42:44 sdzimbra postfix/smtp[83572]: connect to syncdog.net[192.168.168.10]:25: Connection timed out
Sep 23 20:42:44 sdzimbra postfix/smtp[83572]: E2FE85605D0: to=<Nick@syncdog.net>, relay=none, delay=60, delays=0/0.01/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to syncdog.net[192.168.168.10]:25: Connection timed out)
Sep 23 20:42:45 sdzimbra /postfix-script[86333]: the Postfix mail system is running: PID: 222384