Zimbra 9 MySql Fail to start

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
emnzava
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.GA_P11 UB 14 Network Edition

Re: Zimbra 9 MySql Fail to start

Post by emnzava »

Thanks a lot Jim.

I will try to pull P13 and see what happens because it has something to do with openssl.

Once again, Thanks.

Regards,
rocodou

Post by rocodou »

Try apt-get upgrade
emnzava
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.GA_P11 UB 14 Network Edition

Post by emnzava »

Dear JDunphy,

Just like what you said earlier, switching shared libraries was just a temporary solution. After restart, i'm back to the same problem. It seems the best solution is to reinstall openssl.

How can i upgrade zimbra ssl so that it address the problem?

Regards,
JDunphy wrote:To be sure I understand what you did.

1) You had a working machine that you believe is the same release and packages as the release on the failed machine
2) You manually updated the 2 shared libraries from the working machine to the failed machine
3) Everything started and is working on the failed machine

If that is the case, you are probably ok. Another method would have been to force the re-installation of the zimbra openssl-lib package to bring that failed machine to the same level. You would need to research ubuntu on how to do that but some methods including purging the library before installing it again might have worked. Seems really odd that this could happen however and I don't have an explanation how that could happen off the top of my head.

I'll add a disclaimer of dangers of switching shared libraries when you don't match exactly the version that the code was compiled against. Those libraries contains data structures and functions that expect the identical arguments and data structures. If you replace a shared library with another shared library with the same name that has a data structure that is smaller/larger or functions where they have added/deleted arguments or new/deleted functions then you might experience core dumps as a result at startup or fail at what feels like random times. In fact you saw this first hand because the binary was expecting a function that wasn't present in the shared library you had on the failed machine. On the other hand, it's rare to see major structural changes when comparing the same major/minor numbers of the shared libraries but it can happen when someone forgets to update those numbers and puts it back out and someone pulls it. In some organizations this is different people and they could move the wrong physical library to the repositories. This should be automated in 2021 with devops so I doubt that is what happened here. In fact, I doubt zimbra does anything other than pull from the opensource version and compiled it before moving it to their repository so that their install script can put it to the expected location. All random guesses by me to as root cause for you.

HTH,

Jim
Brads

Post by Brads »

Did you work out a solution to this, I have just upgraded 8.8.15 to the latest patch 22 and encountered exactly the same issue.

Currently running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Thanks
Colin
cardap

Post by cardap »

I resolved with apt-get dist-upgrade

Ubuntu 14 zimbra 8.8.15_P28