zmdhparam: ERROR: no zimbraSSLDHParam in openssl

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I am running an older server that has been upgraded a few times.

It is fully patched with the following:

Code: Select all

Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU18_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.15_P21.
I run this command as seen in this link:
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_obt ... urity_Test

zmdhparam set -new 2048
It start ok, but then errors out:

zimbra@zimbra:~$ zmdhparam set -new 2048
Generating DH parameters, 2048 bit long safe prime, generator 2
This is going to take a long time
.............................................................................+............................................................+......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................+.................................................................................................................................................+................................+...................................................................................................................................................................................................+.............................................+.....................................................+................................................+.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................+.............................................+.................................+........+.........................................+...............................................+..................+...................................................................+...................................................................................+........................................................................................................................................................+......................................................................................................+..........................................+.............+....................+...............................................................+............................................................................................................................................+.........................+......................................................................................................................................................+...............................................................................................................+.........................................................................................................+.......................................................+.......................................+......................................................................+...................+..........................................................................+.....................+......................................................+........................................................................................................................+..................................................................................+..................................................................................................+.............+...+...................................................................................................+..............+............................+.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................+.+.......................................................................................+..............................................................+......+...........................................+.................................................................................................+...............................+...........+...............................................................+...................+...............................................................................................................................................................................+..........................................................................................................................................................+........................+.............................................................................................................................................+......................................................................................+.....................................................+...............................................................................................................................................................+..........................................................................................................................................................................+......................................................+.......................................+..............+.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................++*++*++*++*

I am trying to run this because Qualys SSL Labs security test says that my server support weak Diffie-Hellman (DH) key exchange parameters.

Uses common DH primes 	Yes   Replace with custom DH parameters if possible (more info)

Google doesn't say much about the error

Anyone here have any ideas?
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Re: zmdhparam: ERROR: no zimbraSSLDHParam in openssl

Post by JDunphy »

Looks like a bug to me. It appears it is failing to update ldap for the purpose to notify zmconfigd???

% zmdhparam -help
You can also add debug mode and run it:
% zmdhparam set -new 2048 -debug 10
I tried to force the entry with zmprov and got some message that ZimbraSSLDHParam modification not allowed.
zmdhparam -help wrote: Once zimbraSSLDHParam is updated, zmconfigd is responsible for watching
for the changed value and then subsequently writing out the new value to
*/opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem*.
Testing this on a RHEL8 8.8.15P21 so it is present everywhere I think.

The only workaround I can think of is to generate the file directly as nginx is loading /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem and that error results because they want zmconfigd to write /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem.zcs to /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem if I understand what they are trying to do.

grep -R dhparam.pem *
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.admin:    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.sso.default:    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.mail.imaps.default:    ssl_dhparam         /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.mail.pop3.default:    ssl_dhparam         /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.https.default:#    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.https.default:    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.admin.default:    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.web.https:    ssl_dhparam             /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.mail.imap.default:    ssl_dhparam         /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
nginx/includes/nginx.conf.mail.pop3s.default:    ssl_dhparam     /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem;
Here is the old way of doing it:

# su - zimbra
% cd /opt/zimbra/conf
% openssl dhparam -out dhparam.pem 2048
% chown zimbra:zimbra dhparam.pem
All guesses by me so maybe someone else has a solution to why this is happening.

Jim
Last edited by JDunphy on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

I've seen this also and believe it's a bug too.

Jim, please note if you do the workaround, that it's singular /opt/zimbra/conf/dhparam.pem, not plural dhparams.pem (at least on the 8.8.15 systems I've checked). The plural I think came from here: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Security/Collab/logjam, but that's way old.

To the OP, David I would suggest opening a Support Case with Zimbra to report this as a bug. The wiki article you quote is Certified, so Zimbra should be able to do what's suggested to do in the article.

Hope that helps,
Mark
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

Thanks Mark,

Corrected. Yes it was a cut/paste from that wiki.

Jim