ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mtk

Re: ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Post by mtk »

Just stumbled upon this thread.
ArmanKhosravi wrote:and info about upgrades and patches in this article https://community.zextras.com/zimbra-9- ... tallation/.
I hope this helps!
No, sadly

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
will not work...

I always thought repo.zimbra.com is being used for all Zimbra versions. So I would assume no one can patch their systems at all...
Maybe one of the NE-users can confirm this? Just browsing to repo.zimbra.com, therse nothing with a newer timestamp than march 2021, if I see correct...
wentum
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.GA.3924 _P30

Post by wentum »

mtk wrote:Just stumbled upon this thread.
ArmanKhosravi wrote:and info about upgrades and patches in this article https://community.zextras.com/zimbra-9- ... tallation/.
I hope this helps!
No, sadly

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
will not work...

I always thought repo.zimbra.com is being used for all Zimbra versions. So I would assume no one can patch their systems at all...
Maybe one of the NE-users can confirm this? Just browsing to repo.zimbra.com, therse nothing with a newer timestamp than march 2021, if I see correct...
NE User are able to update. I just did an update to 9.00 P17 on a NE system

HTH
Joerg
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

wentum wrote:NE User are able to update. I just did an update to 9.00 P17 on a NE system
I would have expected that but the fact that I (and others) can't update the OSS version is a right PITA and no updates from any zimbra staff about why we can't do it. As I mentioned in my first post, we are second-class citizens around here and nobody (and I really mean nobody) at Zimbra offers any help or a solution to this problem. We've been told that the build of OSS Zimbra 9 should get the patches from the people that build it, guess what, ZEXTRAS builds it from the unmodified source and we still get no patches from the Zimbra repos - perhaps I'm just stupid and wasting my time posting here but I wish some senior member of the Synacor/Zimbra staff would step-up and tell us the truth about what's going on here.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
wentum
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.GA.3924 _P30

Post by wentum »

phoenix wrote:
wentum wrote:NE User are able to update. I just did an update to 9.00 P17 on a NE system
I would have expected that but the fact that I (and others) can't update the OSS version is a right PITA and no updates from any zimbra staff about why we can't do it. As I mentioned in my first post, we are second-class citizens around here and nobody (and I really mean nobody) at Zimbra offers any help or a solution to this problem. We've been told that the build of OSS Zimbra 9 should get the patches from the people that build it, guess what, ZEXTRAS builds it from the unmodified source and we still get no patches from the Zimbra repos - perhaps I'm just stupid and wasting my time posting here but I wish some senior member of the Synacor/Zimbra staff would step-up and tell us the truth about what's going on here.
I fully agree! We have customers that use the OS version, too... It's really a shame...

FYI NE installations use different sub repo, it's called 90-ne. For me it seems that the patches are in there...

Regards
Joerg
mtk

Post by mtk »

wentum wrote: FYI NE installations use different sub repo, it's called 90-ne. For me it seems that the patches are in there...
I assue simply swapping the repo URLs will not work?
Don't have a testing environment at hand right now for giving it a try... otherwise I would give it a try.
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bulletxt »

jholder wrote:Just a quick update:

Our hope is that third parties will provide them, however, the issue here is slightly different. When built from the repo, the version is still at patch 14. Still trying to get answers about that.
Hi Jholder,
do you have any updates about it? This is getting quite scary for us. We really need to know if it's just a bug and will get fixed as we all hope.

Thanks
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

bulletxt wrote:

Our hope is that third parties will provide them, however, the issue here is slightly different. When built from the repo, the version is still at patch 14. Still trying to get answers about that.
Hi Jholder,
do you have any updates about it? This is getting quite scary for us. We really need to know if it's just a bug and will get fixed as we all hope.

Thanks
The problem is that the ZEXTRAS build is basically untouched source code and here we are with another patch available that's not being applied when you try an update, I think you should realise that Zimbra seems not to care what happens with the OSS version - basically you're on your own. We have had a response from a Zimbra employee that the patches were not in the repository but they would find out why, no further information has been given about that. So much for Zimbra 'caring' about their 'community'. :cry:
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bulletxt »

phoenix wrote:
bulletxt wrote:

Hi Jholder,

Thanks
The problem is that the ZEXTRAS build is basically untouched source code and here we are with another patch available that's not being applied when you try an update, I think you should realise that Zimbra seems not to care what happens with the OSS version - basically you're on your own. We have had a response from a Zimbra employee that the patches were not in the repository but they would find out why, no further information has been given about that. So much for Zimbra 'caring' about their 'community'. :cry:
Some weeks ago I was sure that doing apt-get update would find zimbra-** packages to update. I haven't updated though. Now if I do apt-get update nothing comes out. So this means someone removed the packages from repo?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

bulletxt wrote:
phoenix wrote:
bulletxt wrote:
Hi Jholder,

Thanks
Some weeks ago I was sure that doing apt-get update would find zimbra-** packages to update. I haven't updated though. Now if I do apt-get update nothing comes out. So this means someone removed the packages from repo?
From previous comments it was also mentioned that the patches had not been put in the repository, it was mentioned that they would 'investigate' why the had been left out and let us know - as per usual, no information is forthcoming. I've also just tried up update a live server and a test server, no patches available.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bulletxt »

phoenix wrote:
bulletxt wrote:
phoenix wrote:
Here is a small update. Not sure how things will evolve though: https://community.zextras.com/forum/zim ... t-updated/