ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Post by phoenix »

I guess we can kiss goodbye to Synacor providing patches for the OSS ZCS 9 release, yes it's open source but there appears to be no updates to the build from Zextras even though the Zimbra repository is 'enabled'. What's the answer to getting the patch updates for this version of ZCS or am I missing something obvious? Perhaps this is the end of the line for the ZCS OSS version?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Re: ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Post by Martinwiertz »

Yes Bill. I am experiencing the same. FOSSv9 stuck at P14.

@Zimbra - please explain this sudden change?
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

Anyone?

Is there info from the weekly alliance call?
Has Zimbra discontinued updates?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

There is an answer in another thread on this subject and it's Synacor disowning any responsibility for providing updates. As I suspected they are saying it's the responsibility of the companies/people that built the OSS version of ZCS 9 to provide those patches.

Synacor seem not to understand the value of providing an OSS build, their argument is 'it's open source' you build it! I won't bore everybody with more comments that I've made many times so I'll just leave it at that for now.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

These patches are completely missing from our repos. I've sent an email to the team who manages it to see why.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

Thanks JHolder. Hope it will be solved.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Just a quick update:

Our hope is that third parties will provide them, however, the issue here is slightly different. When built from the repo, the version is still at patch 14. Still trying to get answers about that.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

Really disappointing.

New Zimbra policy is to discontinue support OSS-version and risk compromised Zimbra installs due to lack of patching?

Network/paying customers also need patches..... Why do you treat customers differently?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Martinwiertz wrote:Really disappointing.
I would agree with that.
Martinwiertz wrote:New Zimbra policy is to discontinue support OSS-version and risk compromised Zimbra installs due to lack of patching?
They obviously don't care if your server gets hacked or has any bugs.
Martinwiertz wrote:Network/paying customers also need patches..... Why do you treat customers differently?
My opinion would be that Synacor does not see us OSS users as 'customers', you can tell that by the frequency of the 'we provide the open source code, you go away and build it'. It's a comment that's frequently made, they see no value in the OSS customers finding bugs and reporting them in the forums, although we no longer have access to any bug reporting system.

As far as I can see, Synacor builds the NE edition for various distributions and the OSS version can't be that much different to build (I'm sure someone will correct me on that point :lol: )) and the value and goodwill Synacor gets from an OSS build version is immeasurable - it even has people converting to NE from OSS.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

It's highly disappointing because we use 8.8.15 OSS and pay for support(and hardly ever use) on one of our instances for Internet customers. It doesn't need all of the features of NE and we're not going to buy it just to stay on ZCS.