I think I've now seen it all from Synacor/Zimbra

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think I've now seen it all from Synacor/Zimbra

Post by phoenix »

Is it patronising or is it just me?

I've just seen this post on the blog: https://blog.zimbra.com/2021/07/the-app ... nt-always/

Unfortunately it has the following paragraph in it:
There are still companies that put the customer and the customer experience above all else. At Zimbra, we strive to do this every day. Chalk it up to our open source roots. We care about our community of users and strive to meet their needs. We take their input and deliver the features they want.
When has Zimbra shown any concern recently for the 'community' when they don't even interact with them? It must be my age but I find these little snippets totally disingenuous and completely missing the point on interact with or even how to motivate a user community when they don't even supply a build for the OSS version and the patches leave the 'community' totally exposed to problems down the line. Is it time to move on to another product after using these products for the past fifteen years.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: I think I've now seen it all from Synacor/Zimbra

Post by BradC »

With you Bill. I have nothing else. It's all been said before really.

It was pretty clear after Synacor bought Zimbra that the"open source" version was to be used as a relatively unsupported taster and you needed to "pay to play". The direction has been clear. Synacor withdrew any "community" involvement. The only representation on the forums since has been an intermittent "hey, we listen" (while patently demonstrating they don't) and "hey we'll try to do better" (while patently demonstrating they don't). Remember, Zimbra is now part of a listed company so they are bound to deliver value for the shareholders above all else. That would explain the "offshoring" of resources, divesting of both talent and experience and "paring down" of any form of support or engagement.

I'd love to find an alternative and I've spent years looking.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi Brad

Yes, it's all been said but I just like to drop a note or two about what's happening. My latest was this (it might explain the current status of the OSS version): viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69749&p=302066&hil ... te#p302066

Sixteen years I've been using Zimbra, it was a fantastic lively forums for many years but time has dulled my enthusiasm for the product and forums. In those days the BBC even had programs about Zimbra (the company, staff and it's products). I'd also like to move to another product but at the moment I'm in the midst of moving house from France back to the UK. Maybe when the dust settles I'll have a long look at what's around. It's still a good product but the lack of involvement by any Zimbra staff is just a deafening silence.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

Hello,

Like Phoenix I feel the same way.
Until Zimbra will not provide the new versions into packages, I will not believe this kind of statement.

A+